Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

D-link 655 router and slow speeds

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jcta79

jcta79

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:10 PM

Hello everyone,

I am having problems with real slow internet speeds. First I have comcast performance package, up to 25 mb/s. I recently bought a Motorola 6141 cable modem and when I hook it up w/o a router I get greate speeds. But when I hook up my Dlink-655 router, that is when it goes to bleep. I never had a problem before, but I just want to make sure its not a setting or something before I go end up buying a new one. When I Dl on wireless it intermittently looses connection and reconnects. When I connect via ethernet through the router and I DL something my internet speeds are dirt slow. If someone got some advice on how I can fix it, if not then I may end up buying a new router.  Thanks 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:51 AM

Try resetting the dlink router and use the factory default settings with an open wireless security first. Then check both wired and wireless download speed. If no difference, then were looking at a bad or defective router.

Tekken

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

You might also check to see if there is a firmware update for the router.

#4 jcta79

jcta79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

Thanks for the replies, I made sure I have the latest firmware. I reset the modem and I DL something via Ethernet and wireless and only got at most 1.6 MB/s compare to 2.5 MB/s with my Motorola 6141. Now here is a link to a router http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_detail.php?pd_id=484&pl1_id=3&pl2_id=18 I looked up. Does anyone have any experience and can give me their reviews on this router. Also if anyone can suggest a good dual band router I can look into, it would be much appreciated.  Thanks

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:46 AM

jcta79, on 26 Jun 2013 - 9:09 PM, said:
Thanks for the replies, I made sure I have the latest firmware. I reset the modem and I DL something via Ethernet and wireless and only got at most 1.6 MB/s compare to 2.5 MB/s with my Motorola 6141. Now here is a link to a router http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_detail.php?pd_id=484&pl1_id=3&pl2_id=18 I looked up. Does anyone have any experience and can give me their reviews on this router. Also if anyone can suggest a good dual band router I can look into, it would be much appreciated. Thanks

Is that 1.6 to 2.5 MB/s or 1.6 to 2.5 Mb/s? BIG DIFFERENCE. 1.6 to 2.5 MB/s is much closer to what you are paying from from Comcast...i.e. it is 12.8 Mb/s to 20 Mb/s. Remember that bytes (i.e. capital "B") contain 8 bits (i.e. lower case "b").

As to the router you listed, I have no experience with Edimax. I did look up that router on Amazon and NewEgg and both sites seemed to have fairly good user review, but there were not a whole lot of reviews so I am not sure how much I trust those reviews (higher percentage change for people to give it bad reviews because of "user error" issues rather than actual real issues with the router). Regardless, you can certainly read the various user reviews on both sites. I will note that the one average/slightly negative user review on NewEgg had a response from an Edimax representative, which kind of shows that they might have fairly good customer service. I also found a review for it on PCMag's site. Here are links to the PCMag site as well as the listings for the router on Amazon and Newegg:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2417357,00.asp

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315124&Tpk=Edimax BR-6478AC&IsVirtualParent=1

http://www.amazon.com/Edimax-BR-6478AC-Concurrent-Simultaneous-Performance/dp/B00CEEP3DE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1372314298&sr=8-3&keywords=edimax+AC1200

I can say that I what I use is an Apple Airport Extreme, which is a dual band router. This is at least somewhat due to me being at least a little partial to Apple, but more because I like the features. It also has a guest network and uses Gigabit ethernet ports (very useful for transferring files between my two Gigabit equipped computers and my Gigabit equipped NAS). You can have a single SSID automatically handle both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz or you can give each frequency their own SSID. It also helps that I make use of the easy ability to extend networks using other Airport routers (I have an Airport Express at the other end of my house to extend the network). And I make use of the USB port to hook up my LaserJet 6MP to the network using a parallel port to USB adapter cable...this allows me to print to it from any of my computers.

The downside is that an Airport Extreme is not cheap. And you are forced to use the Airport Utility to configure the router (I generally prefer to use web page based configurations), although it is not all that bad of a utility (they did kind of "dumb it down" in the newer incarnation). Also, if you want parental controls through the router, they are a bit weak on the Airport Extreme (actually all Apple routers). And the antennas are internal. So, you cannot upgrade to a higher gain antenna if you want.

Here is a review from Macworld:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2033878/review-apples-airport-extreme-is-a-safe-choice.html

Another dual band router that seems to get good reviews is the Asus RT-N66U. Here is a review from PCWorld:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2028227/asus-rt-n66u-router-review-the-best-802-11n-router-for-the-home-or-home-office.html

I have never use the Asus router, so I cannot say personally say how good it is or isn't.

Edited by smax013, 27 June 2013 - 01:47 AM.

#6 jcta79

jcta79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

Smax013,

thanks for the reply and yes I know while utorrent displays speeds as MB/s vs Mb/s which is what comcast displays their speeds. 1.6 MB/s is equivalent to 12.8 MB/s and 2.5 MB/s is 20 Mb/s. I know here in the US we can't get the full theoretical speeds a company suggest they provide. When I get more time I will read the links you provided.

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:20 PM

Smax013,
   thanks for the reply and yes I know while utorrent displays speeds as MB/s vs Mb/s which is what comcast displays their speeds. 1.6 MB/s is equivalent to 12.8 MB/s and 2.5 MB/s is 20 Mb/s.

Just checking! ;) Many people don't know or forget.

I know here in the US we can't get the full theoretical speeds a company suggest they provide. When I get more time I will read the links you provided.

Whether you get "advertised" speeds will vary. If you are dealing with a cable modem, it will heavily depend on how much people on your cable modem network "node" (i.e. typically your local neighborhood or there about) have cable modem service and actively use it since the overall bandwidth for the cable modem network "node" is shared by everyone on that "node". Of course, the cable company should be properly sizing their "nodes" so that overall usage is such that you can always get you advertised speed.

In case, I have always gotten MORE than what Comcast says that I should be getting. But, then it seems I have always lived in well designed "nodes" or that people just choose not to get cable modem service in my neighborhood or not use it much if they do get it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users