Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.sst files taking over

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Newsy

Newsy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:41 PM

I have run out of space on my hard drive and these .sst files keep multiplying.  How can I make it stop and clean out my hard drive. 

This started a couple of days ago and is affecting other programs (due, no doubt, to lack of space on my C drive.)  These files are doing their dirty work in C;/users/Joan/appdata/locallow/Google/Googleearth/unified_cache_leveldb_leveldb2.  I tried to delete them one by one but received the message "Could not find this item.  this is no longer located in C:/users/.....etc.,etc." in every case. 

There's over 800000 there last time I checked.

I've uninstalled Google Earth and Google Chrome .

My computer is a Dell Studio running Windows 7 64 bit.

Please HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:41 AM

Are they still populating now that you've uninstalled Google earth? Are you able to remove the Google earch cache?

Just incase:

1. Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and press the R key to open the Run window.
  2. Type appwiz.cpl and click OK to open the Programs and Features window.
  3. Scroll through the list and make sure you don't see an entry for Google Earth. If you do see an entry for Google Earth, highlight it and click the Uninstall button.
  4. Now that Google Earth is gone, repeat step 1.
  5. Type or paste c:\users\joan\appdata\locallow\google into the Run window and click OK.
  6. In the window that opens, right click the GoogleEarth folder and choose Delete.
  7. Confirm that you want to delete the folder and then wait while it is deleted.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 Newsy

Newsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

Thank you Chris.  That worked. 

However when I tried to delete the Google Earth folder I got the message:  ":...refers to a location that is unavailable.  The information might have been moved to a different location....etc."

The folder was empty so hopefully it wont cause any trouble.

:)

#4 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:20 PM

If you reinstall Google Earth, make sure you set the Data Cache limit. I would say 2 GB cache limit would be plenty. Let us know if you need any help, and I'm glad your problem got fixed.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users