Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Won't Load After I Fiddled

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 techfiddler

techfiddler

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 16 April 2006 - 03:40 PM

I disabled the ati ragepro driver and when I rebooted, there was no video.
I tried to use the Windows XP CD to fix the problem now the computer gets stuck on "restarting setup".
I'm not fully backed up so I don't want to format the drive.
My XP is an upgrade from millenium.
Is all lost?

Edited by techfiddler, 16 April 2006 - 03:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2006 - 05:47 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer :thumbsup:

I just want to speak to getting the data off of the hard drive. You could always remove the hard drive and install it in another computer as a 'slave' drive. The working computer should still boot up from the 'good' Master hard drive, and then you will be able to navigate (Start > My Computer) to the slave drive and recover your data. More info on how to install a second drive can be found HERE.

But of course, if you need help with this or any other procedure you can just ask for help here and we can explain it in more detail or refer to somewhere on the web where it will be explained more fully.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2006 - 08:59 PM

I tried to use the Windows XP CD to fix the problem now the computer gets stuck on "restarting setup".

Oops. What you should have done was to start in Safe Mode and try to reload the driver. Running Setup would mean you have to go through the long process of reinstalling Windows and re-downloading all the updates.

From Safe Mode, you could have set the standard VGA mode - 640x480 16 colors, then restarted in normal mode and tried to get the driver back in. I'm guessing that the card would have supported that configuration.

An alternate way to do it is to install a PCI video card, then reload the drivers from the CD that came with the Rage Pro. I usually keep one or two of 'em around for just that. (And to test for a bad card.)

I guess it's fair to ask: why did you disable the card?

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2006 - 09:08 PM

Hello Techfiddler, I think the problem you have with your Windows XP Cd is you probably have Service Pack 2 installed and that makes you install cd actually not useful for doing any sort of repair or reinstall.

There might be a way to fix this but unfortunately it can not be explained here. There is not enough room here to type it in and I do not know what your knowledge level with computers is.

The easiest way to do this is to have somebody who knows how to make your hard drive a SLAVE DRIVE and put it into another computer as a second drive. Make sure this computer has a CD Burner on it. After the drive is installed and it can be accessed you use a file manager to manually go thru the drive contents and save all of your important data to one directory on his primary drive then burn it all to the CD or CD's.

Then you remove the drive and make it a master drive again and put it back into your computer and then re-format and reinstall all of Windows and your apps. then replace all of you data.

I have done this several times over the last 25 years so I know it is not a lot of fun and is a lot of work, if you think you are going to have a lot of problems please have someone you trust help you.

Good Luck

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 16 April 2006 - 09:16 PM

Safe mode with networking should enable you to download the appropriate driver from the video adapter manufacturer's support page or use another computer to download it to a floppy (or cd).

Is this video adapter separate or onboard the motherboard?
If it is separate, either PCI or AGP, you could remove it physically (with the computer shutdown), boot the computer - enter the bios and enable the onboard video - remove the ati ragepro from the device manager, shutdown, replace the card, boot the computer and reinstall it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users