Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good Photoshop Alternatives?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 matt1mahoney

matt1mahoney

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

Unless anyone could help point me in the direction of where to download a safe full version of Adobe Photoshop for free, which I would greatly appreciate, I need help finding other similar, free programs.

I'm starting a technical career program at my school next year for Graphic Design and I know very little about it, it would be helpful for me to get ahead of the game with a little practice over the summer. Also I'm interested in T-Shirt designing so any programs that are specifically easy to do that with would be helpful to know about. Some programs I already know about are GIMP and Paint.NET so I was also curious if anyone could tell me where to get the legitimate virus-free version of those programs because I'm paranoid that the combination of my bad luck and lack of computer security will lead to me downloading a virus with the programs if I simply Google search for them.

Thanks,

Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

Safe full versions of Photoshop for free is not going to happen. This is due to cost and copyright issues.

For Gimp the source is here: http://www.gimp.org/

For Paint.net the source is here: http://www.getpaint.net/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:39 PM

Here is a link for another well regarded, free,  photo editing software, Photoscape.

http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/index.php

Edited by GB2064, 24 June 2013 - 10:39 PM.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:14 AM

Unless anyone could help point me in the direction of where to download a safe full version of Adobe Photoshop for free, which I would greatly appreciate, I need help finding other similar, free programs.
     I'm starting a technical career program at my school next year for Graphic Design and I know very little about it, it would be helpful for me to get ahead of the game with a little practice over the summer. Also I'm interested in T-Shirt designing so any programs that are specifically easy to do that with would be helpful to know about. Some programs I already know about are GIMP and Paint.NET so I was also curious if anyone could tell me where to get the legitimate virus-free version of those programs because I'm paranoid that the combination of my bad luck and lack of computer security will lead to me downloading a virus with the programs if I simply Google search for them.

Thanks,
Matt

You should also check with your school. Many schools allow you to get an educational price for Photoshop if you are a student. It ain't free, but it is not as expensive as a full Photoshop license...and it is legal. For example, the university that I teach part-time at offers Photoshop CS6 to students for $199.

There is also options directly from Adobe:

http://www.adobe.com/education/student-eligibility-guide.html

It does get complicated somewhat by Adobe going for the money grab by going to their "Creative Cloud" license structure. On the plus side, you could just do a Photoshop Creative Cloud student (or even non-student) license for a couple of months over the summer.

The other option is Photoshop Elements. It will do a lot of what Photoshop does for a lot less money.

Of course, as noted by the other poster, there is always GIMP if you want/need free.

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:45 AM

For academic education find out the exact version your college is using and then see if you can purchase the educational version as already mentioned if you'd like to be ahead of the game

--- You can certainly use one of the freebies for the time being for your other interests but keep in mind you are taking up an academic course for Graphics Design which is not a casual course

I'd like to add: for security and bad luck issues, the key is to ensure best security measures & maintain a maintenance schedule 

--- There are some very good free protection programs if you are willing to make sure they are protecting your computer on your own

--- A reasonable maintenance schedule is just as important

--- Some of my friends won't bother to do the above but they pay to have for what they use

--- When it comes to computers, patience is more than a virtue as well as observing what's being requested to be downloaded

--- I had a friend of mine who called me and was very upset his son lost a bunch of his college work on his laptop. Fortunately it was recoverable but it's more than troublesome going through that experience

So if you'd like to develop how you would like to make sure your computer is safe & well maintained, post your information in the proper forum and you will receive excellent advice on how to do so

#6 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:18 PM

Get Gimp.

Since Adobe products are not free and being both PhotoShop and Illustrator expert, I use gimp all the time, totally awesome program, powerful, and just as good IMO

As Bleepin' Animinon stated: 

For Gimp the source is here: http://www.gimp.org/

best of luck

#7 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:51 PM

stolen

I allready have Photoshop CS2, and Paint Shop Pro Ultimate X4, but I just downloaded Gimp from your link, I'm sure it will have a pretty steep learning curve, but it will be interesting to play with.

For a free program, it looks to be very full featured.

With programs like this and others like "Blender" available for free I'm almost sorry that I paid for some others.

Thanks for the link!

#8 mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:39 PM

How about corel paintshop pro?

#9 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:02 PM

Thats it!

Corel Paint Shop Pro Ultimate X4, or X5.

#10 sierrachello

sierrachello

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:30 PM

You may try this, www.pixlr.com. The same function with Adobe Photoshop.

#11 MochiiMon

MochiiMon

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:33 PM

Hey Matt, as many have linked you with programs that are the alternatives to Photoshop, if you need any advice on Graphic Design just ask me. I am not a college graduate or have a degree in it but I know a lot about it and small tips and tricks of the trade. I'm self taught mostly and if you need any extra information, as some say ''Google it'' or ''Youtube it''. It'll have plenty to teach you there to as well as help you in whatever program you're using.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users