Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fresh from the box -Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 al_morgan

al_morgan

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:20 PM

I've bought a new computer, with Windows 7. (That in itself was difficult!)

What is THE BEST way to setup a new machine, fresh from the box? For example - partitioning, virus software (what REALLY works)? Should I setup a Virtual Machine environment?
Should I make a set of Start-up discs? Back in the floppy disc days that was, like, 40 discs - so nobody did it. Me neither.

I've got a chance to do it right, here, unlike in my past experiences. What should I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

Here is what I always do first-before I connect to the internet for the first time if the computer is an off-shelf-system.

I go through add remove programs and get rid of the bloatware that manufacturers put on the computer. The first thing to go is whatever trial of antivirus/firewall is included. Then I look through everything else and decide what gets the axe.

After that I make sure the Windows firewall is enabled then I install my security program-which is Eset Smart Security.

Next are Windows/Microsoft updates. Then it's a matter of installing whatever programs I want.

And yes, you should make a set of recovery disks. Nowadays you will most likely need DVD disks. My HP laptop used 5 for the disks.
They do come in handy if something goes wrong and you are not able to access the recovery partition.

Others will have different opinions on what the best way to do something is. What it boils down to is how YOU prefer to set it up.

#3 freebirdnflorida

freebirdnflorida

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:54 AM

As Evie said, removing those programs that you will not be using or even look at will keep from clogging up a lot of memory. Virus software is your own preference.  I use Vipre.  You can download it right away, receive a disk within days and is very inexpensive @

http://www.vipreantivirus.com/promos/VIPRE2013/?cmp=2&gclid=CPvJy8y5gbgCFfHm7AodvS0ABw

.  You can also use it on multiple computers without extra charge.  I hate Norton and McAfee developed a few bugs of it's own but some people have no problems.  Norton seems to take over everything and is annoying at times.  I also recommend making backups on an external drive of pictures, movies or files you don't want to lose.  New to the system I'm sure you will experiment and it;s easy to get where you can't access those files and wish you did back them up.  Other than that enjoy....

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:09 AM

""And yes, you should make a set of recovery disks. Nowadays you will most likely need DVD disks. My HP laptop used 5 for the disks......They do come in handy if something goes wrong and you are not able to access the recovery partition.""

This part of the guide from Queen-Evie I consider to be very important - I had problems not long after the warranty ran out on my Windows 7 laptop, but Toshiba provided a set fairly cheaply ($60 Home delivered). But I looked at how easy it is to do your own today.

Since then, I have made 2 sets of my own Recovery disks (mine take 3 disks) and I keep these safe at all times.

The PC Decrapifier from Singular Labs, is always another good idea  http://dl.pcdecrapifier.com/pc-decrapifier-2.2.8.exe

This is to help uninstall many Preinstalled "Extras" that are not wanted for daily use -

Edited by noknojon, 26 June 2013 - 06:10 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,408 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

Make a backup now...and continue to do so routinely...best advice I can give.

Louis

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:44 PM

One thing I did not mention is that you will probably be allowed to create a set of recovery disks only once.

Since I like to have an extra copy of any software disks I made another set from the disks.

And about the preinstalled junk-if you have any questions about whether you should keep something all you have to do is ask.

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101° N, 0.2906° W

• Members
  • 5,787 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:33 PM

I must strongly agree with Louis, make a backup NOW...while the machine has no dramas....create a full backup, and store it on a separate drive,

or maybe on a paid storage service...depends on your budget.......but make it failsafe !!!.....You will not regret doing this.  At least then if disaster strikes,

you KNOW you are safe......you may have a ton of work to do redownloading programs etc etc.....but the basics are still there. Untouched. As good as new.    I use Macrium Reflect.....simple and it works.... or windows 7 may have a built in app that i am unaware of....(.I am still on XP ).

Virus Software. I am using Avira Free antivirus. It is adequate. It is non intrusive (apart from 1 add each morning at boot up ! )...it updates and does all the work quite nicely. I simply set up scheduled scans and updates when i installed it. Have not touched it since.

I also have time for Microsoft Security Essentials....simple, neat, free, and does the job.  (only install 1 antivirus....NEVER more than 1 )

I have added Malwarebytes. I actually paid for it. It is that good.

I use CCleaner. I NEVER use the registry cleaner part of it. Quite a reliable tool.

I run a monthly scan with ESET online scanner    http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

Partitioning I know nothing about. Other people will know.

I always stick to a very old adage.....K I S S ......keep it simple stupid !!

It pays to.

Brian

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users