Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lubuntu installation fails

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

I am trying to dual-boot Lubuntu and Windows XP on an old laptop, but I can't get it to install. This computer's optical drive doesn't work, so I have to boot from a flash drive using Plop Boot Manager. I can only occasionally get Lubuntu to load. It usually freezes at the initial boot menu after selecting one of the options.

When I can get it to load, the installer suddenly exits while copying files. No error messages are displayed, and the computer sits idle at that point (no CPU or disk activity). The cursor turns into the "busy" indicator and stays that way until I shut down. When I turn the computer back on, it displays some garbage graphics briefly and then loads Windows. What causes this? This is my first time installing Linux.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

Try putting Lubuntu on a thumb drive using Unetbootin. I don't know what that other manager is. but I know Unetbootin usually works.

#3 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:24 PM

Try putting Lubuntu on a thumb drive using Unetbootin. I don't know what that other manager is. but I know Unetbootin usually works.

I used LinuxLive USB Creator (http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/home), which was what the Ubuntu documentation suggested. Plop Boot Manager allows old computers to boot from USB devices. This old laptop doesn't support booting from any USB device other than an external floppy drive.

I think the booting issue might be a hardware failure. I later discovered that it sometimes decides that no devices are bootable. I had a hard time getting Windows to load at one point. Once I can get it to boot, it works perfectly, aside from being unable to install Lubuntu.

Edited by lti, 24 June 2013 - 10:03 PM.

#4 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:03 PM

I managed to get the installer to copy all of the files by just waiting until the light on the flash drive stopped flashing. However, the installer still quits on the last page with the slideshow showing Lubuntu's features. The installer gets to that page and quits, no matter what I do. It never gets installed properly.

Is there any way to install Lubuntu through Windows? Trying to get this laptop to boot from a flash drive is a pain, and it is slow because it only has USB 1.1 ports.

Edited by lti, 24 June 2013 - 10:13 PM.

#5 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

Chances are you need a non-pae kernel. If it's the latest Lubuntu that you're trying to install, that may be the issue. You could try WattOs, it's based on Lubuntu and I believe supports older hardware. LXLE is another similar offering. I've not tried LXLE personally but have use WattOs (R6) which has long term support and faster than Lubuntu in my opinion.

http://www.planetwatt.com/

http://www.lxle.net/

It's nice to be important, it's much more important to be nice.

#6 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:57 AM

I was using 12.04, but the CPU does claim to support PAE.

I might try Wubi.

#7 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:54 AM

It looks like the installer killed the Windows partition. Windows starts to load for a few seconds, then crashes with a STOP 0x00000024 error. I can't even try Wubi now.

I did get it installed in VirtualBox on my main computer, so this isn't a big problem. This old laptop isn't really worth messing with.

#8 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:53 PM

Mmmm, I've not got much experience with wubi, I'd have thought it unlikely that it's to blame for damaging xp though. 

There's many distros that should run on old hardware. I run Bodhi Linux on a nine year old laptop, admittedly plenty of distros wouldn't run on that, including Lubuntu. Puppy linux is worth checking out as well, should you decide to persevere ;)

Good Luck

It's nice to be important, it's much more important to be nice.

#9 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

I didn't even get a chance to use Wubi. This happened after the last failed installation from the flash drive.

#10 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

It looks like the hard drive died after that last installation attempt. It was a Toshiba drive, so I expected it to fail at some point. I put it in an enclosure and tried to run Chkdsk on it. Windows wanted to format the drive, but Chkdsk detected the file system. It didn't find many errors, but it took so long that I gave up on it.

#11 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:49 PM

I want to try installing Linux on this old computer again.

This computer can't really handle booting from USB. I could only get Lubuntu to load from USB a few times. It would start to load and lock up most of the time. I don't know what would cause that.

I'm about to try the Lububtu 14.04 alternate installer. I don't think it will work.

The computer is an HP Pavilion ze1210 with an AMD Athlon XP-M 1400+ CPU, VIA KN133 chipset, and 512MB of RAM.

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:56 PM

512MB of RAM.

Thats a bit of a problem. Maybe you should try Puppy Linux.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm

#13 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:57 PM

That computer supports 1GB of RAM, but it won't POST on a cold boot with that much RAM installed. I have to turn it on, wait a few minutes, and reboot to actually get it to complete POST.

I tried using UNetbootin to create a bootable flash drive with the Lubuntu 14.04 alternate installer. On that laptop, it only displays a blinking cursor and does nothing. On another laptop, it displays the UNetbootin menu and appears to freeze when one of the options is chosen. It's hard to tell since the drive I'm using has no activity LED. I chose the Help option, and it has been sitting at "Loading /ubnkern..." for the past 20 minutes.

Currently, I'm just trying to get some computer that supports 2.5" IDE hard drives to boot from USB. Every attempt to make a bootable USB drive worked on a computer that supports booting from USB, but they freeze while loading on either of these two old laptops.

Edited by lti, 30 April 2014 - 07:19 PM.

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:48 AM

That computer supports 1GB of RAM, but it won't POST on a cold boot with that much RAM installed. I have to turn it on, wait a few minutes, and reboot to actually get it to complete POST.

Strange.

Every attempt to make a bootable USB drive worked on a computer that supports booting from USB, but they freeze while loading on either of these two old laptops.

"Use the Puppy Linux "  Get the 5.7.1 retro I bet that works. You can burn it to CD or USB.

Download the RETRO precise-5.7.1-retro.iso here or there, size = 201 MB, md5sum = 8c1d7db20a055fe847ed954fc246e078

http://puppylinux.org/main/Long-Term-Supported%20Puppy.htm

#15 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:14 AM

I can try it, but I don't think it will work. I can't get either of these computers to boot from any USB device except the floppy drive I'm using to load Plop.

The lack of RAM might have been the reason why Lubuntu wouldn't install. The Ubuntu documentation says that the installer uses 384-800MB of RAM, but the alternate installer is only needed for computers with less than 400MB of RAM. That's why I tried the alternate installer.

Puppy Linux looks nice. I did want to try something else besides Lubuntu. I shouldn't need the retro version since these computers are new enough to support PAE. If the one with a working optical drive (which is not the computer I want to install Linux on) will boot from a DVD, that could be another option. I have no blank CDs, but I do have some blank DVDs.

I would like to dual-boot with Windows (possibly 98SE since that's already installed on the hard drive I'm using), but that isn't required. I do want to have Linux installed to the hard drive.

Edited by lti, 01 May 2014 - 11:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users