Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:24 PM

I need to get some more RAM. I just recently started using a couple bigger programs and sometimes they freeze and run slow.
Does anyone have a go to website that is reliable and affordable when it comes to their hardware needs? Maybe RAM in particular?

Hulk_Tag.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

This is the one I use most often: http://www.crucial.com/ They also have some nice tools to aid you as well.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:59 PM

Oh wow, RAM is a lot more than I expected. :axe:

Hulk_Tag.png

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:24 PM

RAM...is cheaper now than it's ever been in computer history...unless you are attempting to buy older versions for older systems.

What I often do is...use Crucial's site to get the spec...then do a Google search for that spec/brand and compare prices.  The RAM specced by Crucial is available at various vendors, with prices varying.

It's also good to just check the motherboard/system specs/manual...to see what RAM performs in that system or with that board.

Louis

#5 cee134

cee134

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:35 PM

I need to point out there are limits your OS can support.  Not to mention how many slots you can use on your MOBO.  For example, Win XP can only support 4GB of RAM no matter how much you add.  But, WIN8 standard (x64) can support 128 GB. 

So what OS do you have?  and is it 64 bit or 32 bit? 

What does Crucial say you can support? 

#6 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:43 PM

Windows Vista 32 bit. It says my maximum memory is 4GB and that is what I already have.

Hulk_Tag.png

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:40 AM

With a 64 bit operating system the determining amount of RAM that can be used is the limitations of the motherboard.

A 32-bit Windows operating system will recognize up to 4GB of RAM, but will not be able to utilize the total amount because the address space is only 4GB in size, the draw from critical functions such as the system BIOS, motherboard resources, memory mapped I/O, AGP, PCI, PCI-E, and other memory allocations for PCI devices use this space as well.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users