Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP laptop boots up and wants to do a system restore?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 B5Guy

B5Guy

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

Hi A friend gave me her laptop that when you boot it up it goes right to a screen that says HP Recovery Manager (1, 1, 0, 8) that will return her laptop to original factory state, and this is the only thing you can do? Is this a virus? She does not want to do that, she'd loose all her files! If I boot up to safe mode I get the same screen, even if I use the restore windows to last working state, I still get this screen? Anyone know of this? She said she knows of nothing that infected her pc, she was on Skype and when she moved to another room she got this screen. She has her battery pulled out, but I wouldn't think that would make a difference.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:37 PM

My own thoughts would be to remove her hard drive, slave it to another computer, do a malware scan on it once it is powered up and then copy her data to the second computer, 'Caddies' which allow 21/2" hard drives to connect to other computers as external drives are readily available if you don't have one. Once you have backed up her data - and that's the stuff that matters - you can go ahead and attempt to repair the computer.

Can you get into the 'Safe mode' screen by tapping F8 at the BIOS screen instead of going to Recovery Manager ?  This might enable you to sort the problem without doing a complete re-install of everything, perhaps by using a restore point ? This would save you having to uninstall all the manufacturer installed software that you don't want as well as having to do all the updates from the time of the French Revolution.

I have just re-read your post and you say 'She has her battery pulled out.' Do you mean that she has removed the battery since this happened, or that she didn't have the battery installed at the time she moved from one room to the other ?  That would imply that she would have had to disconnect from the mains before moving. If she didn't shut down the computer before pulling the plug out of the wall that could have this effect, but if you can access a Windows restore point you should be able to fix it without doing a complete system restore.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 B5Guy

B5Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:43 PM

Thanks for your reply Chris I also wondered the same thing about the battery. The message seemed genuine so I got my Windows 7 disk from my desktop and booted up with it and did a repair, it moved it back to a previous date and it now works fine. I bet her moving it without the battery did screw it up. I guess people with laptops and no windows disk are S.O.L.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users