Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I reuse a Windows 7 disc due to hard drive failure?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 iceking77

iceking77

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:22 PM

I was just wondering if my windows 7 installation disc will work on a new hard drive I'm buying to the replace the one that died after I had installed windows 7 on, with the id.

I'm assuming not, just thought I'd ask though.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:17 PM

License Transfers
OEM Software may NOT be transferred to another machine. Even if the original laptop, PC or Server is no longer in use, or if the software is removed from the original hardware, OEM licenses are tied to the device on which the software is first installed.

Hardware Replacement
The motherboard is the component that determines whether or not a new Microsoft Windows Desktop Operating System license is required. Motherboard upgrades or replacements require a new operating system license with an identical series motherboard (unless a replacement is for a defect).

OEM Software Licensing: Rules & Restrictions

Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computerexcept the motherboardand still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

Licensing FAQs
Personal Use License

Please provide the information requested by hamluis so we know exactly what you have.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users