Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Created a folder/file and now I cant find it to delete it

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 efiste2

efiste2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

Briefly.....I wanted to install a program from a DVD onto my D drive called ECAT, so when the program asked where to install it I browsed for my D drive and created a folder called ECAT......The program didnt install as it came up with error messages.  I have since found out that the program HAS to be called what the program states, and NOT a user defined one......

Now as the program didnt install it no files were written.........So now when I come to install the program again, this time intending to call it EXACTLY as the program states, the first page of the installation wiil not let me change the location or name of the installation folder. It keeps coming up with the location and drive I INITIALLY asked it to be installed too....

I am guessing the program has written a secret/hidden file or folder somewhere on my D drive.... however I CANNOT FIND IT. I have tried the following.....

CC cleaned the D drive

Registry search for any file that is similar to the program name (ECAT)

A Disk Clean on D Drive

Used a program called DISK LOOK, nothing found!!!

So after all of the above the program (ECAT) still finds this hidden/invisible installation folder called D:\ECAT and WILL NOT let me browse to anyother folder or drive.....

the picture below shows the installation page....Im hoping you guys can help me out by telling me how I can get rid of this folder or install the program in its proper name and folder

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!!!

untitled2-4_zps0cb221db.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:15 PM

1) Did you use the "Windows Registry Editor" to look for "ECAT" ?

2) Did you make "Hidden Files" visible before you ran your search ?

3) Have you checked your install program to see if it has "ECAT" entered in it somewhere ?

#3 efiste2

efiste2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

I have done all of those and more, I just cant find this file, even after disk clean, when I try to install the program it finds this folder and wont let me change to another :smash:

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:24 PM

Maybe try creating another admin account and try installing the program from there. I am not sure if it will help, but it might be worth a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users