Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD My Passport Advice

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:58 AM

I have a WD My Passport 1TB HDD. My wife had it hooked up to her laptop for backing up. After several months it showed the drive as almost full, but shouldn't have been any where near full. She aslo had trouble with the utilities constantly running and hogging her Win 7 laptop resources. Using task manager she could not get tasks to stop. She was never able to get it set to just do incremental backups nightly or changed files (no, I did not try it for her). She eventually copied all the files to Dropbox.

I have taken the drive and deleted all the files so all  that remains is the utilities that came on it. Now for my question.

Is there any reason I shouldn't delete the utilities and reformat drive?

Thanks for the help.

Asus P8Z77-V motherboard, Intel i5-3570K unlocked Quad Core cpu, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz ram
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler, Samsung 128GB SSD with Win7 Pro, WD 500GB drive for data
Asus DVD writer, Corsair 600W PSU

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:05 PM

This is my opinion and I am no explicitly telling you to do anything, deletion of utilities or keeping them.

The first thing that I do when I buy a new flash drive, internal, or external drive is format it, if possible I do it in BIOS before the computer even boots, this way nothing is installed on my computer and nothing runs from the drives. Most of the things on there just slow it down, and none of them are "needed".

Granted when it comes to USB 3.0 stuff I will let it install drivers first, then move the drivers to a folder on my computer, then format.

With backup programs you have to make sure its set to delete the older backups, some will hold onto old deleted files from previous backups in case something got deleted but for the most part you only want to keep 2 maybe 3 copies of the backups

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

I have a WD My Passport 1TB HDD. My wife had it hooked up to her laptop for backing up. After several months it showed the drive as almost full, but shouldn't have been any where near full. She aslo had trouble with the utilities constantly running and hogging her Win 7 laptop resources. Using task manager she could not get tasks to stop. She was never able to get it set to just do incremental backups nightly or changed files (no, I did not try it for her). She eventually copied all the files to Dropbox.

I have taken the drive and deleted all the files so all  that remains is the utilities that came on it. Now for my question.

Is there any reason I shouldn't delete the utilities and reformat drive?

Thanks for the help.

It is generally a matter of whether you want to use those utilities or not. Generally, the software that comes with hard drives (or flash drives) is not needed.

My general practice in the past when I bought "commercial" external hard drives is that I format them as soon as I get them (this is also typically driven by need/want to format them for with the Mac format for use with my Macs). These days I actually just buy an internal drive and external enclosure for the drive of my choosing and "build" my own external drive...and they will never have any utilities/software included.

The point is that unless you want to use the included WD utilities (i.e. the WD backup program for example), then there should be no issue re-formating. If you are really paranoid, just backup that folder to another drive and then reformat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users