Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony Vaio locks up loading windows 7

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 jimvw57

jimvw57

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:39 AM

Just got this laptop and it locks when it is loading Windows 7. I have tried using the built in system repair but that also locks up. Don't know much on the history as I just got this (and now I know why) 

Where do I start??  

When I use the F8 key, and select system repair, the screen goes dark and I get a mouse cursor that can be moved around. Num lock and cap lock will operate but thats it. 

In regular startup mode, I get the Windows logo and then it locks up. 

Edited by jimvw57, 24 June 2013 - 10:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

I'd start with...running a diagnostic on the system hardware...or the hard drive.

If that turns out OK..then I would try running chkdsk /r from the command prompt.

Louis

#3 jimvw57

jimvw57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:01 AM

No command prompt. Just a dark screen with an arrow pointer in the middle (or wherever I move it with the mouse.  We did run a diagnostics on the machine earlier and it checked out OK. 

It boots up asking if I want to start windows normally (which locks up at the windows logo screen) or repair windows, which runs until the cursor arrow appears and then sits there. I can move the cursor, num lock, caps lock but nothing on the screen. I tried leaving it sit for 4 hours and no change. 

#4 jimvw57

jimvw57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

Played with it some more and I can get to the screen to select safe  mode but the same results in all the selections. 

Tried removing the battery and reseating memory, no change.

Reset bios options to factory default, no change..

it did run chkdsk and it fixed some errors, but same thing. No change. 

I saw that in safe mode, it locks at ClassPNP.sys

#5 jimvw57

jimvw57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:02 AM

Guess this is one of those problems that is un fixable. 

#6 jimvw57

jimvw57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:50 PM

I'm going to try resurrecting this as I have yet to fix this and now need to put this computer in service. Any ideas?? 

#7 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:14 PM

If you do not have a rescue disk, you can borrow  a computer and do the following,

Instructions for a Windows 7 Repair installation.

A Windows 7 Repair Installation will require a installation disc.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 at  Windows 7 Forums.  You will need to download the same version of Windows 7 that you have installed,  This image is hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  This is a genuine untouched image which is safe to download. 

Attention:  If you do have a Windows installation disc, skip Part A and go to Part B, Step 1b.

Part A, Steps 1a - 6a

The ISO image will need to be burned to a DVD in order to create a bootable installation disc.

1a)  To burn a ISO file to a DVD please download ImgBurn and install it.

2a)  Insert a blank DVD into your CD/DVD drive tray, and then close the tray.

3a)  Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

4a)  Click on the Browse for a file icon:

5a)  Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

6a)  Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable DVD.

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Part B, Steps 1b - 10b

1b)  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2b)  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3b)  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

4b)  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

5b)  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

6b)  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

7b)  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8b)  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

9b)  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10b)  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

Using the installation disc to access Command Prompt

Instructions for a Windows 7 Repair installation.

A Windows 7 Repair Installation will require a installation disc.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 at  Windows 7 Forums.  You will need to download the same version of Windows 7 that you have installed,  This image is hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  This is a genuine untouched image which is safe to download. 

Attention:  If you do have a Windows installation disc, skip Part A and go to Part B, Step 1b.

Part A, Steps 1a - 6a

The ISO image will need to be burned to a DVD in order to create a bootable installation disc.

1a)  To burn a ISO file to a DVD please download ImgBurn and install it.

2a)  Insert a blank DVD into your CD/DVD drive tray, and then close the tray.

3a)  Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

4a)  Click on the Browse for a file icon:

5a)  Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

6a)  Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable DVD.

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Part B, Steps 1b - 10b

1b)  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2b)  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3b)  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

4b)  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

5b)  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

6b)  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

7b)  Click on the Command Prompt from the list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options and type chkdsk /r

#8 jimvw57

jimvw57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:46 PM

Thanks for the reply! I seem to be out of DVD's so I will have to venture out in the cold. -9 right now. 

Didn't get any disks with the computer, or a power supply. Heading out to pick up some blank disks. 

#9 jimvw57

jimvw57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

I followed instructions and made up a DVD.  When I started up the computer, it asked to start from CD (which I did) and it loaded windows files, then the screen went blank. After a bit, I got a mouse pointer which I can move around but nothing is displayed on the screen. 

I purchased a recovery disk that was specific to this model computer which should arrive tomorrow. I will give that a try. 

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:31 PM

Is this a new laptop?

Is it covered by warranty?

If used...then did it perform properly with you watching?

What specific model is this Sony Vaio?

Louis

#11 jimvw57

jimvw57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:59 AM

This is not a new laptop.

No warranty,

I have never seen it run, when I first got it, it didn't have a power supply.

Model number on bottom says PCG-71314L

under right corner of screen it has  VPCEB23FM

I tried purchasing a recovery disk from Ebay and I believe it is the same as what I downloaded. Same results...

It boots up from DVD  with the purchased disk, it asks me if I want to run Launch Startup Repair or Windows normally, I selected Launch windows repair but ends up with a blank screen with a white arrow (cursor) which I can move around. I tried leaving it sit for 1/2 hour with no change.

Starting Windows Normally, I get the pulsing Windows logo and then the screen goes blank. 

Thanks for your help, open to any suggestions. 

Edited by jimvw57, 07 January 2014 - 02:10 AM.

#12 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:21 AM

Can the system boot into safe mode?

#13 jimvw57

jimvw57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:23 AM

Safe mode starts loading files and stops when loading \windows\system32\drivers\CLASSPNP.SYS   then just sits there.

#14 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:40 PM

download a new claspnp file from here

use a live Linux disk, (new mint is nice to try), just boot from disk and the OS will come up, you are not forced to install it.

rename old classpnp to something like oldclasspnp.sys, copy new one into correct location.

should fix it...

Failing that just install Mint from the icon on the live desktop, and use Linux on that machine.

#15 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:46 AM

Did you get some kind of a BSOD or power outage? Go into bios and change your hd setting from IDE to AHCI After changing that Reboot the system twice. If that doesn't work reset the bios setting to factory defaults and once again reboot the system twice. Bios battery low could cause it to lose it's settings.

Edited by technonymous, 08 January 2014 - 03:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users