Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Stats

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 William Welbon

William Welbon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:55 AM

I have worked with computers, off and on, for over 38 years.  When I graduated from college in 1976, I had tried to fashion my own MIS degree, which, of course, didn't exist then.  My first real experience with a "computer" was carrying punch cards to a window to have someone run my program on an IBM 34.  I had met a graduate student who told me how to modify the jcl (job control language) to make my programs turn around faster.  Next was a programmable calculator, the Victor 4900, and a word processing machine, the Burroughs Redactron, both of which were being sold by the office machine company I worked for.

The first "real" personal computer I owned was an Atari 400xl.  That was soon replaced by an Atari 800xl - of course modified with Claus Bucholtz's memory upgrade, and then an Atari ST with a daughterboard sporting the NEC V15 chip which allowed me to run MS-DOS.  I would have loved to have an IBM computer, but I couldn't afford the $5000+ it cost back then (clones were selling for that much in 1983).  At the same time I was learning the intricacies of the Burroughs B-27 computer that was being used by U-Haul and subsequently I found a computer job supporting the Burroughs B-28 used by county governments.  I finally cut my teeth on IBM compatibles when I started replacing banks and credit union's terminals with pcs, around 1991.  It was fun back then - DOS based, with multitasking provided by a program called Software Carousel.  The only real claim to fame is that I earned a MCP for Windows 3.1, and I am a Novell CNE.

After working for a bank for 4.7 years as their IT Manager, I started my own computer support business in 2004 and have been mostly helping individuals and small business clean up their systems.  I am semi-retired, but still have a big book full of satisfied customers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users