Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Security Essentials, full scan?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 JerryB52

JerryB52

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:56 AM

Just wondered, how often should a full scan with MSE or other anti-virus be run?

Is once a week enough?

I also use Malware bytes free and Microsoft Safety Scanner at times...

Thanks...

Jerry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:00 AM

Hey JerryB52,

I personally have MSE set to full scan once a week but it's all down to your activity on your machine.

If you feel that you're doing things which may cause your machine to become infected then you may want to scan more often than once a week.

Being secure is nothing to be ashamed of, so do whatever you need to feel secure.

:)

Craig

Edited by Darktune, 24 June 2013 - 05:01 AM.

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#3 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:32 AM

If you have a good security program there should be no need for regular full system scans, as nothing undesirable would be allowed to enter your computer.   It is much better to prevent infection rather than to try to clean it up after it has been allowed through.

If you rely on an antivirus alone you are at the mercy of any recent malware which is not yet in the database and MSE is not known for good detection anyway.   Far better to have security which uses whitelisting and blocks anything unknown to give you time to check if it is legitimate before letting it install itself.

James

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:47 AM

Hi -

My setting for MSE scanning is for a Quick Scan every day, set for 2.00 PM, and if it misses it will run the next day.

I could not tell you the last time I thought a Full Scan was run, or required to be run.

Your Antivirus is (should be) set for Real time Protection under the settings tab, so it is in fact scanning at all times.

The Scan Setting is just for "Deeper Scans" if anything has slipped in un-noticed or you disable the Antivirus.

Even a scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Free only requires a Quick Scan in over 90% of cases.

If there is nothing found, a Full Scan will very rarely find anything else, due to how the program detects infections. 

A weekly scan with MBAM or even SUPERAntiSpyware rarely finds anything since I feel that I have my other settings secure enough.

Regards -

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:57 AM

Generally there are three types of scans offered by most anti-virus and anti-malware programs:
  • Quick Scan only looks at those folders/files most likely to contain malware...the most prevalent places where malware hides. Quick scans will vary depending on the security engine but they generally take about 15-30 minutes...so they can be performed daily.
  • Full Scan is much more comprehensive because it scans the entire hard drive (all folders/files) so it can take several hours. Most Full Scans can be scheduled to run late at night when not using the computer so you can perform a scan a weekly scan without having to monitor it.
  • Custom scan allows the user to select any files and folders on the hard drive to be scanned.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 JerryB52

JerryB52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:26 AM

Thanks for all the responses. 

I rarely run a full scan but did so the other day on both my desktop and laptop computers.

About 3 weeks ago my girlfriends computer contracted the FBI Scare virus and it was nasty and difficult to remedy, so I have been

extra cautious about my computers and how I use the internet since then.

It was with the help and advice from this forum that I was able to fix her computer.

I appreciate all of the members wisdom and help... :guitar:

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:35 AM

Hi Jerry -

You are always welcome to any help that the Bleeping Computer community is able to offer. :thumbup2:

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,139 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:03 AM

About 3 weeks ago my girlfriends computer contracted the FBI Scare virus and it was nasty and difficult to remedy, so I have been extra cautious about my computers and how I use the internet since then...

Have your girlfriend read: Best Practices for Safe Computing - Prevention of Malware Infection

#9 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:25 PM

Hate to be that voice crying in the wilderness, but my opinion is that MSE doesn't really provide adequate protection, even for free AV. I've done several malware removals on Win8 systems, so Microsoft Security Essentials/Windows Defender, continues to underwhelm me. If you must do free, Avira or Avast should be your tools of choice.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#10 Allen

Allen

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:13 AM

Wouldn't it be a good idea to monitor full scans though because when the harddrive is at 100% usuage it tends to start heating up.

Hey everyone I'm Allen I am a young web developer/designer/programmer I also help people with computer issues including hardware problems, malware/viruses infections and software conflicts. I am a kind and easy to get along with person so if you need help feel free to ask.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,139 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:37 PM

I've never had that happen to the point it caused any issues. Running security scans may utilize system resources and hamper performance but you should not be using the computer during the scan. That's why they have schedulers so it can scan while you sleep. Besides at my age my vision is bad enough without having to stare "bug-eyed" at a monitor for several hours.

#12 Allen

Allen

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:58 AM

I couldn't leave the computer unattended while it had windows 8, the automatic matientence would burn the harddrive up I came back once to find it at 54 C

Hey everyone I'm Allen I am a young web developer/designer/programmer I also help people with computer issues including hardware problems, malware/viruses infections and software conflicts. I am a kind and easy to get along with person so if you need help feel free to ask.

#13 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

I couldn't leave the computer unattended while it had windows 8, the automatic matientence would burn the harddrive up I came back once to find it at 54 C

Are you saying that you actually experienced a hard drive failure from running  this diagnostic? Have you seen a drive failure in client's computers from this test? Just exactly what software are you using to report temperatures. Honestly, your posts don't read as professional or knowledgeable.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#14 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:25 PM

Are you saying that you actually experienced a hard drive failure from running  this diagnostic? Have you seen a drive failure in client's computers from this test? Just exactly what software are you using to report temperatures. Honestly, your posts don't read as professional or knowledgeable.

Hello,

I know some people use 'Speccy' to find out their HD's temperature. Not sure on how accurate this is though.

Craig

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#15 Allen

Allen

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:33 PM

No, what I mean is everytime it would start automatic matientence that it would start heating up the harddrive and make it impossible for me to use until a few moments after.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users