Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

yahoo email account hacked

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 somae

somae

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:56 PM

Our yahoo mail account was hacked a few days ago and was used to send out a spam website address to people listed in sent mail and contacts. Don't know if this is new but, yahoo has a log that shows who logged in to your account that was available and it showed that someone from Indonesia had logged into our account and a minute or 2 later the spam emails were sent out.

I immediately changed our password and notified yahoo about the break-in.

I was assuming that the problem is at yahoo and not on our computer?

Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 24 June 2013 - 06:48 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:14 AM

Thanks for letting us know how you handled this immediately

--- Changing your password and notifying Yahoo was definitely the right thing to do

--- Yahoo has been catching quite a bit of heat recently in some other posts

--- However, if it's a password issue, that isn't Yahoo's fault than I can tell

Unfortunately when it is a password issue, even after it's changed, from what I've read, a hacker can have used an alias account to continue what they are doing if they wish to do so

--- I haven't saved any of the articles pertaining to this but if I ever find another one, I probaly should post it asking for opinions on whatever is written

--- Maybe someone can chime in on this perception I have from reading such information

#3 Doompants

Doompants

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:16 AM

Thanks for letting us know how you handled this immediately

--- Changing your password and notifying Yahoo was definitely the right thing to do

--- Yahoo has been catching quite a bit of heat recently in some other posts

--- However, if it's a password issue, that isn't Yahoo's fault than I can tell

Unfortunately when it is a password issue, even after it's changed, from what I've read, a hacker can have used an alias account to continue what they are doing if they wish to do so

--- I haven't saved any of the articles pertaining to this but if I ever find another one, I probaly should post it asking for opinions on whatever is written

--- Maybe someone can chime in on this perception I have from reading such information

With regard to having an "Alias", there is the possibility of forwarding being enabled by the rogue user, which would defeat the purpose of changing the password and such.  Always check for this after you regain access to your account in mail and forwarding options.

However, Yahoo doesn't allow you to forward for free, so you should be fine.

I think you need to run a virus scan on any machine that you may have checked your e-mail on at this time, just to be sure you haven't been infected by any PW-stealer or keylogger malware at this time.  

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:34 PM

I think you need to run a virus scan on any machine that you may have checked your e-mail on at this time, just to be sure you haven't been infected by any PW-stealer or keylogger malware at this time.  

^^^THIS^^^

Not just one scan, but several with different tools from different companies. Unless you've accessed your account on a public computer, you can pretty much guarantee you are infected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users