Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Prevent apps from launching IE?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dallas7

dallas7

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:42 PM

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 x64 - Internet Explorer 10

1 - IE is not my default browser.
2 - Firefox is the default browser.
3 - Firefox is the association for .url .htm .html .website
4 - "Enable access to this program" for IE is unchecked in Custom "Set Program Access and Computer Defaults."
5 - IE is checked in "Turn Windows features on or off."

With more and more applications using the browser for Help or "get info" or "check for updates" or clicking a URL in an About dialogue, etc. etc. I'm frustrated that IE opens for these things regardless of 1 thru 4 above.

I don't care about IE for browsing teh intuhnetz and would consider turning it off (5 above) but for concerns it would break Windows Update as well as apps depending on its rendering engine (Trident if I remember correctly).

Yes, I know the IE launch might be hard coded in the apps but there may be some novel solution to prevent apps from launching IE.  I haven't been able to find it or figure it out.  

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:01 PM

Use a firewall that allows you to control what has the capability to connect to the Web...lots of them around.

You might also not enable "check for updates", etc. for programs and browser additions.

Louis

#3 dallas7

dallas7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

@ hamilus

Thank you for your reply.  You have however failed to grasp even the most elementary understanding of my inquiry: to prevent apps from launching IE.  A firewall??  Unbelievable.

Let me see if I can simplify it for you...
•You're running a non-network app, say Super Ultra Extreme JPG Editor version 2.3.007.12 build 2401.  You recall it's been a while since you installed it so you pull down Help from the menu bar and select "Check for updates" and IE opens and takes you to the app's Web site download page.
•You're running a non-network app, say Super Ultra Extreme JPG Editor and you're having trouble removing undesirable elements from your forum avatar file.  You pull down Help and select "Contents" and IE opens and takes you to the app's Web site Support page.
•You're running a non-network app, say Super Ultra Extreme JPG Editor.  You pull down Help and select "About" and click on the URL in the dialogue.  IE opens and takes you to the app's Web site Home page.
•You're fed up with with that behavior and evoke measures taken in 1 thru 4 in my OP to no avail.

•You post up in great detail in a renowned technical forum and get a response about blocking connections with a firewall.

How's that?  No?  Then I would greatly appreciate your abstaining from any further postings in my thread.  With all due respect to your post count and Moderator status, etc.

Otherwise, anyone else, please?

"Machines making machines... How perverse!" -C3PO
Win7-HP-SP1-64; Online Armor ++; Zemana; Malwarebytes Pro.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:46 PM

I would like you to list all of the apps that exhibit the kind of behaviour you are referring to. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users