Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatic repair fail loop; recovery options not working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dremits

dremits

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:03 AM

Hi all,

Recently was running a backup program and suddenly I get the Windows 8 blue error screen (the one with the mocking ':(' icon) and system dies. I turn on and it seems to booting very slowly then it proceeds to do the pre login screen installation of updates. After half an hour or so and with updates on around 70%, system dies again. Now when I turn the machine on it appears to alternate between either hanging for ever on the Win8 loading screen or attempting to run an 'Automatic Repair' which invariably results in a blank screen and no fix.

Having read several 'Automatic Repair loop' posts on the net, it appears I need to load the recovery disc and run repair or restore programs from there. Of course the CD I made failed (crappy disc?) so I had to search my original licence email and use the provided link to download and create a new installation disc from a working machine. This disc loads and gives me the option to install Win 8 (presumably a fresh install with loss of files) or a troubleshoot menu. Running the automatic repair option results in a rather inane 'Couldn't do it' message and gives a blank path to a log file. The system restore option prompts me to 'Restart and select operating system before trying this' and i'm not sure how to do this as no such option is given at boot.

EDIT: If it helps, this blog post details what appears to be almost identical symtoms to the ones my system is experiencing http://www.selarom.net/blog/2012/09/01/windows-8-woes Looks like he/she had no luck solving this though ....... :(

Any help greatly appreciated!

Edited by dremits, 23 June 2013 - 11:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:47 PM

The most likely cause for this scenario is a failing hard drive. So, I suggest downloading your drive manufacturer's diagnostics to create a bootable CD, and using it to run the long drive test. The quick tests don't always report problems with the hard drive accurately, and if the drive is under warranty, you will need the long test to generate an error code which you can use for an RMA. I'm a newbie here, but I've run my own computer services company for 14 years, and this is an issue that I see frequently. You might have defective memory or even a motherboard problem, but this scenario is typical for a bad drive.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#3 surge1223

surge1223

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:23 PM

I'm not sure if you can run these in the recovery environemnt, but its worth a shot.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

#4 dremits

dremits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:59 AM

Many thanks to both replies. Sure enough I ran some looooong diagnostic tests and midway through system died and the drive seems to now be completely kaput (not recognised by BIOS or anything). Have ordered a replacement as it'll no doubt be out of warranty now. Boot disks seem to be working fine so hoping it is just a hard drive failure and nothing else.

Thanks again!

#5 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:42 PM

Hard drive failures are much more frequent than drive manufacturers want you to believe, and they are mostly random events. So, a bad drive is just a bad drive; don't worry about the rest of the system. I could write a book about all the drives I've had crash and burn since I go my first hard drive about 1983. Woo Hoo! A 20 Megabyte Fujitsu for only $750!

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#6 dremits

dremits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

What's this measly megabyte you speak off?

#7 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:20 PM

Time and technology marches on, but drive manufacturer's still don't report honest specs for their products. Anyway, back in the days of MS-DOS based computers, 20 MB was kinda a big deal.Having a hard drive in a PC was definitely Uptown. :lol:  Heck, even having two 51/4" floppies meant you probably had a pretty high end system. Actually, my first computer ran CP/M 80 and had a 4 MHz Zilog Z80 that could address all of 64 KB of RAM. Sorry, I'd like to type more, but I need to take my arthritis meds. 

WIFFLEBALL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users