Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beeping Computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Satebs

Satebs

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:07 AM

Yesterday I bought a used eMachine T5254 to replace my dad's old Dell.  When I first booted it up, everything worked great.  I even had to switch outlets at one point and it restarted just fine.  I left it on for hours until I was ready to install Windows 7.  After putting the DVD in and restarting the computer, nothing happened and it just started beeping.  At first there were 4 beeps, a pause, and then continuous beeps.  So far I have tried reseating the RAM and CMOS battery.  I feel like it's something very simple to fix, but I just can't pinpoint it.  The fan on the motherboard looks pretty dusty, but I don't know if that would be the cause of it to quit working so suddenly.  I'm hoping someone out there has some experience with this issue.  Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

You might try removing one stick of memory at a time if it has more than one. Comp should boot off of one good stick.

Any chance you can get your money back?

Bios Beep Codes

4 Beeps: System timer failure

Explanation: There is a problem with one or more of the timers used by the system to control functions on the motherboard.

Diagnosis: This is usually a motherboard failure.

Recommendation: Troubleshoot the motherboard.

Continuous Beeping: Memory or video problem

Explanation: The system is producing constant beeping in no specific pattern, or a fast "ringing" sound.

Diagnosis: This is usually caused by a problem with the system memory, or possibly the video card. The memory is more likely--the system complains long and loud if it can't find any usable memory, as there is no way to even start the boot process when this is the case. The motherboard itself could also be the problem.

Recommendation:

Troubleshoot the system memory.
Troubleshoot the video card.
Troubleshoot the motherboard.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Satebs

Satebs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

It does have two sticks of memory, so I will give that a shot.  Unfortunately, I bought it from one of the online yard sale sites on facebook, so the odds of a refund are pretty low.  I'm going to open it up and give it some cleaning as well.  We'll see how it goes.  Thanks for your help!

#4 Satebs

Satebs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:17 PM

I just wanted to check back in and say that it worked!  It has plenty of software issues as well, but I think I can work through those.  Thank you!

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:19 AM

A quick look at Computer memory upgrades for eMachines T5254 Desktop/PC from Crucial.com

At Amazon...Amazon.com: Crucial / 1GB / 240-pin DIMM / DDR2 PC2-5300 / Desktop Memory: Electronics

A clean install of Windows 7 should solve the software problems. If it is in the budget, definitely get a

matched pair of memory sticks.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Satebs

Satebs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:34 PM

Actually I found that one of the memory slots was the problem.  The max memory on the computer is 2GB, so I'll just have to find one stick of that.  When I installed Windows 7 yesterday, it worked perfectly.  I gave it to my dad today and he was really happy with it.  I'm thinking that the person who sold it to me knew it was messed up, but thanks to you, I was able to revive it.  Thanks again!

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

My understanding is that using a 2GB stick in that comp could cause other problems...voltage, etc.

I think that if the one gig stick is satisfactory for your dad's use it would be best not to risk a further problem.

You can reduce memory usage by removing programs such as WMP, Office programs, etc. from startup and 

exiting programs after use.

Good to hear that you got it all working for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users