Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my hard drive dead? "Problem Signature 07: Bad disk"

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 skeptical optimist

skeptical optimist

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:23 AM

Note: When reading the following be aware that despite any apearance to the contrary I am pretty useless when it comes to tech stuff and have very little understanding of what I'm talking about.

Similar threads:

I have looked for similar threads and did find one but cannot now find it.It seemed to suggest there might have been a malware problem.

I have a Dell Zino running Windows 7 Ultimate 64. I got it second hand with Windows 7 already loaded - no recovery disc, product codes or Windows 7 disc. Over the last two weeks I got the BSOD several times and just switched off and on again (possibly not a good move). I also have children who use it unsupervised so it may have had some less than ideal treatment. A few days ago it wouldn't start up at all but just gets stuck with two choices:

Startup Repair

Advanced System Recovery Options

Start Up Repair Bugcheck analysis: 

Error Code = 0x0

Root cause found: 

------------------------

Bad hard disk: Bugcheck 7a. Parameters = 0xfffff6fc50060b18, 0xfffffffc0000185, 0x3d300880, 0xfffff8a00c16548.

I can't access Safe Mode.

I've managed to rescue all my data to an external hard drive using Knoppix icon_bananas.gif but I'm now wondering if the hard drive problem is terminal.   smashcomp.gif  

After trying to repair I get this message:

Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 03: unknown

Problem Signature 04: 21200471

Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover

Problem Signature 06: 7

Problem Signature 07: BadDisk

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID 1033

[Edited to remove incorrect FRST scan]

All help gratefully received.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FRST logs removed and topic moved to Windows 7 forum. Team member states that the error is a standard hard drive error which should be debugged before checking for malware. ~ OB

Edited by Orange Blossom, 28 June 2013 - 10:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:33 PM

You should try running a "Pre Boot System Assessment". More info here: http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&docid=266787
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 LPTJared

LPTJared

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:44 PM

Could be a Corrupt OS Install or the HDD is going bad... Trying doing what Budapest suggested and if that doesn't work I would try formatting the HDD since you already have your data backed up, and reinstalling windows to see if it's the HDD itself or the OS. If you don't know how to install Windows here's a video: How to Install Windows

#4 skeptical optimist

skeptical optimist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

Thanks, both.

I ran the Dell Diagnostics  as suggested by Budapest and they found no errors. Are there any more options now besides reformatting?

Edited by skeptical optimist, 29 June 2013 - 04:44 PM.

#5 LPTJared

LPTJared

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:40 PM

You can try running MalwareBytes and seeing if it detects anything.

You can also try running JRT which removes any unwanted Junkware.

If neither of these two suggestions do anything, let me know.

MalwareBytes

JRT

Edited by LPTJared, 29 June 2013 - 05:42 PM.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:47 PM

If your computer doesn't boot into Windows you could try a "Windows Startup Repair".

See here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/what-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-windows-7
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 skeptical optimist

skeptical optimist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:54 PM

Hi Budapest,

I've done a Windows Startup Repair several times and I keep getting the bad disk error mentioned in my original post.

Edited by skeptical optimist, 29 June 2013 - 05:54 PM.

#8 skeptical optimist

skeptical optimist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

Hi LPTJared,

I've run Malwarebytes and it found nothing. Wll try JRT. Thanks. 

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:45 PM

Hi

Dell diagnostics may not detect surface defects all the time. Yesterday one of my customer brought a Dell 5030 laptop which passed the dell diagnostics test without problems. But running Seatools reveals there are bad sectors in the surface. SO i recommend running the hard disk manufacturers diagnostics which is more accurate. 

For Western Digital drives use WD lifeguard diagnostics.-  https://www.box.com/shared/gl0fifqgj4

Run an extended test with it.

For Seagate, Samsung, HGST and Toshiba drives, use Seatool -  http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO

Run a long test with it.

If there are no surface defects, we can try to recover the OS to factory state.

#10 skeptical optimist

skeptical optimist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:44 PM

I've finally managed to run this (have been working away):

http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO

I did the short and long tests on the hard drive and they found no faults (pic here):

2mzhbm8.jpg

What next? If there's nothing wrong with the drive why won't it start? 

#11 skeptical optimist

skeptical optimist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:52 AM

Anyone? The kids and me are getting desperate. Thanks.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:31 AM

FWIW:  http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/264394-bsod-every-boot-0xfffffa8004d37cd0-0xffffffffc0000185.html

If you can run the chkdsk /r command...please do so.  If any onscreen error messages appear, please post same verbatim.

Doing hard shutdowns...tends to present the possibility of corrupting files and/or the file system.  Even though your hard drive checks out as OK...that's of no value if the file system itself is damaged badly enough to prevent booting into Windows or proper operation.

Louis

#13 fondraa

fondraa

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2014 - 07:39 PM

FWIW:  http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/264394-bsod-every-boot-0xfffffa8004d37cd0-0xffffffffc0000185.html

If you can run the chkdsk /r command...please do so.  If any onscreen error messages appear, please post same verbatim.

Doing hard shutdowns...tends to present the possibility of corrupting files and/or the file system.  Even though your hard drive checks out as OK...that's of no value if the file system itself is damaged badly enough to prevent booting into Windows or proper operation.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users