Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking to upgrade computer, need advice on which parts to change/keep

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rdbr

rdbr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:23 PM

Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my current desktop that I've had for about 5/6 years now. I'm feeling things are starting to get a little outdated and would like to know which parts I can keep and which parts I would have to replace.

Also, about a year or 2 ago I recently changed my graphics card so ideally, I would like to keep it the same.

My specs are:

Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ (Windsor 90nm Technology)
RAM: 6.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 301MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard: alienware alienware (Socket M2 ) (FOXCONN NFORCE 590 SLI)
Graphics: 1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series (XFX Pine Group)
Hard Drives: 2x 233GB Seagate ST325041 0AS SCSI Disk Device (SATA)

So from what I know so far, my CPU is very outdated so I would to replace it as it is probably my bottleneck. With that in mind, I think I would have to replace my motherboard and ram as well.

However, since i'm make quite a drastic change in CPU/Motherboard, would I have to replace anything else, like for instance, the power supply? Also, would there be any issue with the chassis/tower i'm currently using in terms of fit?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:49 AM

Hi, yes you will need to replace the core components(CPU, motherboard, ram) and what is the model of your power supply and the case you have?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:18 AM

You do not need to replace anything else if you replace the CPU, RAM, and motherboard.  However, depending on the version of Windows you have, you may need to repurchase it again.  Even if you have a full, boxed, retail copy of Windows, you will need to reinstall the operating system.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users