Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Makeing system image from laptop to desktop

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kaeno

Kaeno

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:28 PM

This one is an easy one for some of you pros. Thank you in advance for looking over post.

I been searching google but can only find guides on system image to external or internal on same PC.

What I am interested in accomplilshing: to have a System Image of my 80gb hard drive on my desktop's data drive 180gb.

I have a laptop I just installed win7 and MSE, I want a system image In case of something goes wrong. Like, for instance, updates is asking to do sp1 update. but I want to put the image on my desktop data drive for safe keeping.

Laptop: win7 32bit 80gb Hd

Desktop: win7 64bit onto my data drive.

What information do you need from me or can some one point me in the correct direction to a guide online.

much apreciated, thank you.

kae

Edited by Kaeno, 22 June 2013 - 09:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:34 PM

Do you mean back up your laptop as an image to your desktop, or over write the desktop install with an image of the laptop?

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

#3 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:30 PM

As Zestypanda is hinting at you need to clarify what your intentions are a lot better.

What I am interested in doing, is make a system image from my laptop to my desktop.

This sounds like you want to have your desktop system dual boot into either it's already installed Win7x64 OS or optionally boot into a new image of your copied Win7x86 OS from your laptop?

Can you clear this up a bit so we know what your asking for?

Regards,

Zen

#4 Kaeno

Kaeno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:49 PM

Do you mean back up your laptop as an image to your desktop, or over write the desktop install with an image of the laptop?

I threw that post up pretty quick with out asking my self some simple questions, sorry for not giving enough information. \

I did edit the post.

Thank you for quick reply

#5 Kaeno

Kaeno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:54 PM

As Zestypanda is hinting at you need to clarify what your intentions are a lot better.

What I am interested in doing, is make a system image from my laptop to my desktop.

This sounds like you want to have your desktop system dual boot into either it's already installed Win7x64 OS or optionally boot into a new image of your copied Win7x86 OS from your laptop?

Can you clear this up a bit so we know what your asking for?

Regards,

Zen

Sure Zen! See, I want to make a system image of my laptop that I just recently installed win7 and MSE. I would like to store the system image on a nother drive thats in my desktop. doing some updates and a playing with a few programs, if things do not go as planed.

#6 Kaeno

Kaeno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:57 PM

Do you mean back up your laptop as an image to your desktop

Yea. the entier system image file to store it on my desktop.

#7 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:03 PM

Ah, okay so you're just trying to make a clean backup image of your current laptop configuration before you make changes to it. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Did you want this to be a live thing that you back up on a schedule or just a one time thing that you save as a static image to restore or copy back from?

(Another option is to just use VirtualBox and save a copy of your image as a VM, virtual machine, and then use the VM for any mucking around you do. Easy to rollback and easy to update.)

#8 Kaeno

Kaeno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:22 PM

Ah, okay so you're just trying to make a clean backup image of your current laptop configuration before you make changes to it. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Did you want this to be a live thing that you back up on a schedule or just a one time thing that you save as a static image to restore or copy back from?

(Another option is to just use VirtualBox and save a copy of your image as a VM, virtual machine, and then use the VM for any mucking around you do. Easy to rollback and easy to update.)

correct. I should use backup system image, the wording has purpous.

Would be nice to have it scheduled, but I'd like to walk before I run. for now copy back from.

I'll look into VirtualBox right now. but seems its a bit more then I need.

Edited by Kaeno, 22 June 2013 - 10:35 PM.

#9 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:36 PM

Though, do you mean a byte for byte like ghost image or win image? Or placing the windows backup image FILE onto the other drive?

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

#10 Kaeno

Kaeno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:40 PM

byte for byte Is something Id like to do.

Though, do you mean a byte for byte like ghost image or win image? Or placing the windows backup image FILE onto the other drive?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

I use Macrium Reflect to make a backup (not a clone) of my desktops...and store those on my seldom-used laptop.

Macrium won't store directly to the laptop, so I just create the backup and then move it to the laptop, where all my backups are stored.

I also use my "extra" hard drives...to make clones, if I feel like going in that direction.  To me, the backups are just as good as the cloned partitions/drives...the only differences of note would be the amount of space/number of drives used by either.  Either works as an insurance policy.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users