Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding a new hard drive to a computer to replace a smaller HD!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

I currently am running out of space on a 250GB Hard drive and I want to replace it with a 1TB Hard drive.  I also think the computer is running very poor from what I remember, therefore would like to do an install that gets it functioning better.  

What software would you recommend for doing this.  Is cloning or imaging programs going to work better.  Will these programs install the O/S as well as all the information from the old hard drive.  Can i do it with both hard drives in the computer and then how will it know to boot from the new hard drive once the transfer is done.  Thanks for any tips on this.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

Since from what you say there is space in your computer for two hard drives, I would be inclined to use both. Move your data to the new 1 Tb drive and leave the operating system and your programs where they are on the original 250 Gb one.

This will achieve two objectives. First it will save you doing a re-install, and, secondly, it will create some free space on the 250Gb drive, which sounds as though it could use it. Once you have moved your own data across, and deleted it from the 250 Gb drive, I would be inclined to do some maintenance on the original drive - clean up any temporary files that will have accumulated, and perhaps run chkdsk and do a de-frag.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:20 AM

yes, i vote for adding a second drive for storage and leave the original drive as the boot drive and defrag the 250 gb boot drive.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users