Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replicating documents

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bkaren96

bkaren96

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 17 November 2004 - 06:23 PM

:thumbsup: Hi All, a coworker has the strangest problem on windows xp...I am trying to help with my limited knowledge : ) Anyhow, when she searches for a file through "search" she will get the results, when she opens the word doc., it replicates itself like 5 or 6 times. She had the svchost.exe virus on her computer a few weeks ago, but thats gone now. Could this be a residual affect? Any advice? I have run Spybot & Adaware, but no bad results.
Thanks,
bkaren96

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 17 November 2004 - 09:39 PM

well, bkaren96, you are to be commended for tryin'. :trumpet: The fact that we're talkin' about .doc means that the winXP operating system has MS Office software operating in that environment. OK. Two sorta different things that go hand-in-hand, from my perspective. Meaning that you can uninstall/re-install the Office product without doing any harm to the OS or the FILES you have on disk. You're problems reported as a svhost infection might have affected your MS Office software, and still have the "residual effect". BTW, that OfficeSuite must be updated with sp patches of it's own, because it is vulnerable to malware exploitation independent of the problems that Windows XP has, yet they both use the same services, and svchost.exe is a legitimate executable file that a service launches, where the svhost.exe is a crummy bleepin' wannabe. So, to make a long story short, I'd uninstall the Office program by goin' to Start-->Control Panel-->add/remove programs-->add/remove Windows components-->select from menu the appropriate one. If I remember right, you'll need the install CD in the CD-Rom to even do that step correctly. Then re-install what you need (Custom install or "advanced" works well). Then go to:

(what you see if you are not in IE Browser: "Thank you for your interest in Windows Update. Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the most out of your computer. You need to be running a version of Internet Explorer 5 or higher in order to use Windows Update. Download the latest version of Internet Explorer. Once Internet Explorer is installed, you can go to the Windows Update site by typing http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com into the address bar of Internet Explorer. If you prefer to use a different Web browser, updates to Windows may be downloaded from the Microsoft Download Center.)

or simply: Windows Update if you use IE to do it and then choose the Office Family tab to have Windows determine what if/any updates you need.

If all else fails, post back and I'll offer you the free OpenSourcealternative to the whole darn Office Suite which can use the old .doc files and .all the others made by MS Office, too. :flowers: But then the boss might wonder about you two and what the heck you're up to at work or maybeafter-hours? :thumbsup:

Give it some thought. Post questions anytime. Others here have other perspectives.

Edited by phawgg, 17 November 2004 - 09:49 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users