Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CyberPowerPC: Noisy PSU Fan

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 UnitedShoes37

UnitedShoes37

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:02 PM

Hello. I bought a CyberPowerPC Gamer Xtreme 1077 back in 2011, and it has recently started to run very loudly. I've given it several thorough cleanings, to no avail, and, by opening up the case and listening to each fan individually, I've come to the conclusion that the one that sounds like it's trying to achieve flight is the one in the Power Supply.

It's a rather inconsistent problem. Sometimes I'll get a string of noisy starts, other times I'll get two or three hours of work in before the fan starts running loudly, and I haven't figured out any rhyme or reason to the differences in noise level.

A quick, general, perusal of the internet suggests that I should either oil the fan of my Power Supply or, as I'm not a trained professional, replace it lest I kill myself/fry my PC tampering with the gods' gift of electricity, but which of those is my best approach is really my second question. I have virtually no experience on the hardware end. This is the first computer I've used that hasn't been A) a hopelessly lost cause like my Dad's decrepit computer or B) under the careful supervision of a dedicated, Batmanesque IT department, so I'll let that inform whether I should repair or replace the PSU.

The first question is just how do I get to the damn Power Supply? All the wires coming out of the PSU are threaded through a frame that's holding up the CPU and hard drive, so they sit between that and the access panel on the right of the machine (looking at it from the front) that I can't seem to open. When I unscrew the PSU and take off the other side of the case, I've got maybe about an inch or two of slack from those cables, which is barely enough room to look at the thing, much less take it out and replace it/perform any sort of maintenance on it.

9109867314_abed1ce503_o.jpg

So far, the PC has avoided any of the catastrophic failures that seem to have plagued other CyberPowerPC customers that I've been reading about while looking for help with this relatively minor issue, and the noisy fan has been my only trouble. I haven't yet found a pressing need to (or had the spare cash to) upgrade or replace any of the components, so everything is as it was in 2011. Specs presented below, if it helps.

General Spec
Brand: CyberpowerPC
Model: Gamer Xtreme 1077
Type: Gaming & Entertainment
Processor: Intel Core i5 760(2.80GHz)
Processor Main Features: 64 bit Quad-Core Processor
Memory: 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333
Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 7200RPM HDD
Optical Drive 1: 24X DVD±R/±RW Dual Layer Drive
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB PCI-Express Graphics Card
Audio: Sound card - Integrated
Ethernet: Gigabit LAN
Power Supply: 450W
Keyboard: Xtreme Gear USB Keyboard
Mouse: Xtreme Gear USB Mouse
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Special Features: Xion Predator AXP970 Gaming Case

Motherboard
Chipset: Intel H55

CPU
CPU Type: Intel Core i5
Installed Qty: 1
CPU Speed: 760(2.80GHz)
L3 Cache Per CPU: 8MB
CPU Socket Type: LGA 1156
CPU Main Features: 64 bit Quad-Core Processor

Graphics
GPU/VPU Type: ATI Radeon HD 5450
Graphics Interface: PCI Express 2.0 x16

Memory
Memory Capacity: 4GB DDR3
Memory Speed: DDR3 1333
Form Factor: DIMM 240-pin
Memory Spec: 2GB x 2
Memory Slot (Total): 2
Memory Slot (Available): 0

Hard Drive
HDD Capacity: 1TB
HDD Interface: SATA II
HDD RPM: 7200rpm

Optical Drive
Optical Drive Type: DVD±RW
Optical Drive Spec: 24X DVD±R/±RW Dual Layer Drive

Audio
Audio Chipset: Integrated

Communications
LAN Chipset: Integrated
LAN Speed: 10/100/1000Mbps

Front Panel Ports
Front USB: 2

Back Panel Ports
PS/2: 2
Rear USB: 4
RJ45: 1 port

Expansion
PCI Slots (Available/Total):
1 x PCI Express x16
1 x PCI Express x1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

I have had to replace a PSU before,,

Is the PSU touching anything that could possibly make it vibrate or is it loosely secured (ie loose screws)?  A quick reminder, try to think of how  all the components went together in the first place and what sequence.take pictures and/or draw a diagram of all the connections the PSU is making including pin count and configuration... the most important is the 20 or 24 pin connection to the mobo. mine was deifinitely tricky to get the old one out and seat in the new one. you know when you need a new power supply when you get random shutdowns for no apparent reason and when you do boot back up, there isn't a BIOS message indicating a thermal event which would indicate an overheated CPU

although a noisy PSU fan is pretty rare, there may be some sort of voltage draw from an exposed wire touching a ground source or something, wish i could tell you more about PSU voltage irregularities  but there are a few guys that know alot more about  that kind of thing that may read this and help .

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

Can you provide a clear photo of the whole system? What i can do is label where all of the cables from the power supply go.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users