Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Previous infection preventing SP3 and Wireless?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 turbine_guy

turbine_guy

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:54 AM

I am working on a a family member Toshiba laptop. It was infected and cleaned by a an office chain before me. I don't think it was completely working because I found drtrans32.dll loaded. I removed this with UBCD4WIN boot disk, installed a fresh battery, and found that it was cluttered with autoruns. I cleaned up the autoruns, ran several virus checks including Runscanner. Next, I found that it would bsod at times. Turning off the wireless card would prevent the crash.

I updated the Intel wireless driver, and now the radio will not function. I uninstalled and reinstalled the wireless card. I have updated the Intel wireless driver using the Intel utility. The new driver from 2007 does not work, and the old one crashes when I rolled it back.

I discovered that SP3 was installed, but not reported. I uninstalled SP3 and reinstalled, but the installation hung after nearly two hours. I shut it down and rebooted. Now, it still reports to be SP2. I has some suspicion that limited RAM stops SP3 install.

Please help. Here is the URL for a report on the computer:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/cpihwy0Q408MYis5jZTJrER

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 turbine_guy

turbine_guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:47 PM

Hi All,

I know it is summer, but I had hoped someone would offer an idea this weekend. I keep trying changes in the computer, but the wireless will not work.

I was able to get the wireless to work if I booted entirely from UBCD4WIN. This proves the radio card is working. However, I had to turn off encryption to get a connection. In that past with other laptops, I never needed to turn off encryption from the router. The driver on UBCD4WIN may not be ideal. I would need to rebuild the ISO with a changed driver to see if that would help.

(I really regret that the UBCD4WIN project has died, and even the forum has turned off. It was a neat project that I used often to fix problems, although it has limitations to XP to some extent.)

I have a suspicion that security updates that have been added are interfering with the wifi radio. I read some comments that some get relief from a small USB wifi dongle when the radio fails in a Mac or Windows computer. Therefore, I finally ordered a cheap small dongle to try.

I am trying to avoid getting egg on my face with this rescue project. I am sorry I volunteered to get it going again. It is a nice Centrino laptop that has a small drive and limited memory.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users