Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Processor Not Working With My Motherboard?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 adiwalsh

adiwalsh

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:13 AM

Hello, I have a Compaq Presario CQ56 with these specs:

Windows 7 64Bit OS

6GB DDR3 RAM (upgraded from 2GB)

250GB 2.5" SATA HDD

AMD v140 2.30GHz Processor Single Core

BIOS Version Hewlett-Packard F.16 15/02/2011  (copied from System Information)

I hope that's enough details, I can find out more if needed.

Not so long ago I decided that I wanted to upgrade from the single core 2.3GHz processor to a dual, triple or even quad core processor. I read the manual for my laptop which said the most this model could handle was a AMD Athlon N370 dual core 2.5GHz. After reading some mroe in online forums I found that someone fitted a   P970 processor in  this model and it worked fine so I decided to go for a Tri Core AMD N370 processor. I ordered it and fitted it this morning but when I tried to boot up the computer the screen was just black, so I put the old processor back in and that booted fine.

Is there a BIOS upgrade I can get for my laptop that will allow the Tri Core processor to work or will I need to return it and get the dual core?

Either the guy who said he fitted a quad core 2.2GHz was lying or there is something I can do to be able to use the processor.

Thanks

Adi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:31 AM

Which CQ56?  Look on the service tag.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

Just because the "P970 Quadcore" worked, is no guarantee that an "N370 Triplecore" will work, when only an "N370 Dualcore" is stated to be supported. . They may have differing power requirements, and different voltage requirements.

#4 adiwalsh

adiwalsh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

Hi, i'm not sure which CQ56 it is.

I've also got another problem since putting the old CPU back in, when I plug the charger into the laptop it dosent charge and no charger icon comes up on the taskbare, the light next to the charger port dosent light up either. It has now gone completely dead. Before the battery died everything else was working fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users