Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lavasoft malware?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JaneDoe999

JaneDoe999

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:51 AM

I downloaded Ad-Aware to run a scan on slow computer. Didn't like it and deleted what I thought was all programs it came with  Now when I open Firefox Lavasoft is my main browser.  I went into control panel internet options and deleted it and made  google my search engine.  Lavasoft keeps coming back up.  What did I do wrong and how do I get rid of it?  Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 22 June 2013 - 08:20 AM.
Moved from XP to AV, Firewall, etc. - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:16 AM

Did you check Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs for any Lavasoft or Ad Aware entries?

Also this, bottom paragraph:

http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support/supportcenter/faqs/how-to-remove-blekko-as-your-homepage

Edited by ranchhand_, 22 June 2013 - 08:19 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:32 PM

Please read -

What does the future hold for Ad-Aware?
Lavasoft Controversies

Both of these programs have been greatly downgraded recently due to many problems.

You are best to fully remove these and make sure you have another Antivirus installed -

Uninstall Firefox, and reinstall it only if you wish to use this now unsecure browser -

Thank You -

#4 pasque1992

pasque1992

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:48 PM

Firefox solution after trying the Windows uninstall solution, is to check to see if  Lavasoft is listed as an extension to Firefox. If it is listed, remove it 

It may be called "SecureSearch."

Check whether IE is also infected if you have it installed. If you have problems removing it from there ask for further help as there is a simple no-cost solution that does not involve downloading other software.

#5 JaneDoe999

JaneDoe999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

thank you for your suggestions.  I now have it removed thanks again

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:41 AM

For others reading this topic...these are helpful links for removing extensions and toolbars in FireFox:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users