Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there a cheaper way to print than this?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Itchy01

Itchy01

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:36 AM

Hi all

First things first:

Computer: Toshiba Satellite L840/02K
Windows: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

Printer: HP Deskjet 2050 J510 Series

My wife bought me the above printer a couple of years ago. The idea is, Messrs H&P virtually give you the printer, then you pay (boy, do you pay) for the cartridges. RRP unknown, but average price for the HP61 regular Black cartridge is currently about AUS$21.00. I need to print for my university studies so who knows what I've spent on cartridges since then. The Black (standard) cartridge I installed 10 days ago is already signalling "Low". I know I've printed more than 137 A4 pages but less than 200. This is getting beyond the joke. There is an XL size which sells at around AUS$54.00 but it sheds ink at the same rate and is no saving. 

The obvious alternative is spend more on the printer and less on the ink, but.... (my knowledge well is dry). Anyone been in my situation and knows a good alternative to it? I'm talking home-office scale. I've heard varying stories about Canon and Epson. Given HPs apparent money-making strategy with printers, I'm not really keen to keep going with an HP.

Cheers

Itchy01

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:45 AM

I wouldn't limit the issue to HP. At the non-profit organization I volunteer at they have HP, Dell & Epson printers and I haven't heard any complaints that one is worse/better than the other. I have a friend with a Canon with similar page yield "specs" as your HP and he isn't happy with his printer either.

--- I suggest one of the keys is to know the theoretical page yield, the cost and the cost per 100 sheets before you buy

--- Maybe Consumer Reports might have data to help you compare the cost & effectiveness of ink cartridges, I don't know, but if I can find a reliable source of doing so I'll post it

--- Maybe other manufacturers have more models with better printing results than HP, it doesn't matter to me, but I would like to find data showing decent costs as I'll be looking for which printer I'll be interested in when I buy my new Win8 computer later on this year

As for me, I have a calculation in which I determine the cost of theoretical page yield per 100 sheets

--- I've had some friends of mine who wanted to know the same thing you are interested in and for me & my friends knowing that theoretical cost is a good start

--- What a few of them did when they went shopping for a new printer is they took their information with them and used it to their advantage (at least that's what they told me)

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:49 AM

G'day Itchy01, and Welcome !!

if you are going to buy another printer......try and make sure that it is listed on this site.....http://www.rihac.com.au/index.php     .......my reasoning being that these people make continuous ink supply systems that actually work !! I spoeak from experience.  Study the site, and draw your own conclusions. I can recommend them for both a good product and excellent after sales service if needed.

I use one in combination with an Epson Artisan 835......oh joy oh joy !!

Again....be sure the printer you buy is listed on their site.

Brian

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:58 PM

If you use an inkjet, it will cost you.  If you are primarily printing B&W/text, get a laser printer.  Quicker, better quality...............cheaper.

Three years ago I bought a cheap HP laser printer.  Still on my first toner cartridge.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:07 PM

Here in the USA we have numberous refill cart companies that will supply you with a chipped cartridge at 1/2 the ridiculous price of these printer manufacturers. Check out your Aussie area, I am sure there are reputable refill companies. Oh....and by the way....those who may tell you that the ink will damage your printer, damage the print head, blah blah have 100% no idea what they are talking about. I have been using refills for years on 3 different printers with no problems or loss of print quality. The printers eventually failed because of electrical circuit board failures, nothing to do with the ink.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 Itchy01

Itchy01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

Hi Again!

Thought I'd give it a day or two befofe replying, see if there were any more bites.

My thanks Larry, Brian, dpunisher and ranchhand. The choice seems to be: if I stick with deskjet type printers, go for refills or continuous ink supply. If I go with a laser, probably go with refillers too.

Choice Magazine might be a help. For the moment, as with so much nowadays, there seems to be no silver bullet. If I do stumble across anything, however, I'll cheerfully share it.

Cheers and again thanks

Howard (Itchy01)

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

If you use an inkjet, it will cost you.  If you are primarily printing B&W/text, get a laser printer.  Quicker, better quality...............cheaper.

Three years ago I bought a cheap HP laser printer.  Still on my first toner cartridge.

I agree.

Generally speaking, laser printers have a lower per page cost. This is especially true if you are mainly or only doing B&W/greyscale printing.

I have two (technically three, but the third is not currently connected) printers. My primary work horse printer is a B&W laser printer...a good old LaserJet 6MP. It is now more than 10 years old. I am on either my third or forth toner cartridge for it. It has a page count of 15428 right now. It is slower than dirt (i.e. a more modern laser print could likely spit out pages much faster), but works just fine. FWIW, new toner cartridges for it cost about $50 or less. So, if I assume that I am on my third or forth cartridge and each one costs about $50, then that is about $.01 per page. I believe that they have "cheapened up" some laser printers so that you might get fewer pages per cartridge, but you are likely still going to be in the "few cents" a page range for a laser printer.

I also have an all-in-on ink jet printer/scanner/copier/fax. I mainly use it for copying and scanning, but will use it if I need to print in color. The third printer that is not currently connected is another inkjet that can print to 11x17 that I can use for printing blueprints/CAD drawings.

#8 Itchy01

Itchy01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:16 AM

I agree.

That is how I think I will go. Keep the HP Deskjet 2050 for scanning and photocopying and invest in a mono single-function laser for bulk printing. I saw this Lifehacker comment:

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2012/09/ask-lh-whats-a-good-cheap-laser-printer-for-a-student/comment-page-1/#comment-151772

and I've found one at Officeworks for AUD119. (http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Technology/Printers-and-Faxes/Laser-Printers/Mono-Laser-Printers/BRHL2270)

I'll need a USB cable for where there's no wireless but they're cheap.

Cheers

Howard (Itchy01)

Edited by Itchy01, 28 June 2013 - 08:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users