Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dllhost.exe takes a lot of resources

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 underemployed

underemployed

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:08 AM

Hi All

I could really use some assistance here. the past few days i have been noticing dllhost.exe in my task manager and it takes up most of the resources , abt 4GB .. and finally the laptop crashes

i am not sure if this is related to chrome or just to the images/icons. I am using Chrome Version 27.0.1453.116 m

Would be really great if someone can help me with this.

please let me know how i can proceed trying to clear this issue.

Thanks for your time

S

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NorthernScally

NorthernScally

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:07 AM

i had a problem with it on my sons pc . i opened windows explorer then went to Organize/Folder and search options, then to View, then i have to check the first one: Always show icons, never thumbnails, then to uncheck: Display file icon on thumbnails.

seemed to calm down after that.

#3 vulcain

vulcain

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:32 AM

Hello,
dllhost.exe is a system process and should not be stopped. The process is essential to the proper operation of your computer.
This process is considered CPU intensive. Without proper treatment, consumers CPU processes can manipulate system resources causing a loss of speed.
System problems arise mainly process conflicts between applications running on your PC.

You may download an application that causes the  consumption?

Sincerely,

Edited by vulcain, 22 June 2013 - 09:33 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:21 PM

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/dllhostexe-32-taking-up-memory/ec811887-c2e7-4f1f-9e95-c860b370d918

Louis

#5 Linuxluver

Linuxluver

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:42 PM

I have this issue. If I access image or video files Windows doesn't "like", DLLHOST.EXE will fire up and chew about 40MB of memory every 2-3 seconds. I noticed it after it ate 8GB of RAM and the system almost died. 

Now...I just kill it. I then also kill the process tree that spawned it. This usually stops it from appearing until some other app calls it or I close / re-open the app I'm using.

As far as i can tell killing it doesn't hurt anything at all - with the apps I'm using (mainly Chrome and Magix Movie Pro 2013 Plus). I mainly use Linux.....but the video editing app I prefer runs on Windows, so I have a Windows system to run it on. 

It may be that I have installed a buggy video or audio codec along the way somewhere.......that I needed to be able to process my video at all.....soif I have to choose between the (unknown, possible) video codec and killing DLLHOST.EXE.....then I'll be digging a grave for the pain in the a*se DLL every single time.

If it should prove to be that I do need the DLL running fomr some specific purpose or service I can't otherwise perform....then I'll leave DLLHOST.EXE running until that purpose has been served...and then kill it.  

My system did not used to behave this way......but it started not long after Windows 8 came out. Maybe it's just Microsoft trying to give me a reason to downgrade to Windows 8. I don't know. 

Edited by Linuxluver, 10 September 2013 - 04:43 PM.

#6 starbucky

starbucky

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:55 AM

I have the same problem. Windows7.  So many dllhost.exe spawning all over the place.  HELP!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users