Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer stuck in power loop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jnk1296

jnk1296

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:26 PM

So there was a thunderstorm going on a few hours ago, a very heavy one. And i normally leave my machine on throughout the day, but being precautious, i decided to powerdown the machine to prevent any possible electric damage. So i shut the machine down completely, and the unplugged the power strip from the electrical socket. Great.

A few hours later; the storm has passed, and i would like to use my machine. So i plug the machine back in, and press the switch. Nothing. Okay. Try it a few more times, nothing. Then i look at the keyboard, and notice that it is flashing every 3/4 of a second or so, as is the link light on the built-in Ethernet. Well, i've seen this issue before. The power switch on this tower is junk, and liked to stick a lot, so my solution then was to switch the power button for the reset. And that fixed the problem.

Only now, i have no buttons ti try. So i resorted to shorting the pins to jumpstart the mobo.

Here's the thing. It has nothing to do with any of the buttons. In fact, all i have to do is throw the toggle switch on the psu. Nothing will happen for about 15 seconds, and then blink..... Blink... Etc. and it continues to do this infinitely, slowing gaining in pace.

Now, this mobo has received electrical damage from a storm before. I took the same precaution then by unplugging the machine, but the storm still managed to shock it through my LAN line, totaling my router and destroying the built-in lan.

That said, i'm wondering if the motherboard is the culprit. Maybe it is, maybe it's not. I don't know. The PSU is fairly new, having purchased it in February.

I'd rather not have to buy a new mobo, but if i have to i have to. :/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:05 PM

Well, after unplugging every possible non-necesary device (hd, dvd, gpu, nic, cold-cathode, and plugged in only the mobo and keyboard), i narrowed it down to two culprits; psu and mobo. And a paper-clip test on the psu showed that it was working properly. So... I'm inclined to believe it's the mobo. :/ reseated the ram and all psu connections, and nothing..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users