Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitors flicker to black when gaming

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 iamchuckb

iamchuckb

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:20 PM

Hi all, first post.

I ordered a custom box last year. Everything works as advertised except that once I have been playing a game for a while, my monitors (2) start to flicker black for 1-2 seconds. Given that it only happens when I am gaming and have been doing so for at least 45 minutes to an hour, I believe that it is something to do with either my power supply not being able to provide enough juice for the graphics card. I'm not a hardware guy however, so this may be completely off base. I was hoping that perhaps some of you might have experience with similar issues or might at least be able to point me toward a more firm diagnosis.

I run Ubuntu 12.10 on one partition and Windows 7 on another. It had been a problem in Windows for the entire year; I've been living on the Linux side for work and had never seen it happen there until I booted up Minecraft. Sure enough, after a couple of hours of play, it starts going haywire. When it only happened when I played Battlefield 3 in Windows 7, I had assumed it was a software problem. Now that I have two data points in two different OSes with two different games, however, I'm more inclined to think there is something wonky with my hardware.

Here are my computer stats:

Case: Tower

CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 3.6GHx 10MB Cache LGA2011

MOTHERBOARD: Asus P9X79 Pro

POWERSUPPLY: 700 Watts

HDD: 1TB SATA-III 5.0Gb 7200RPM

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB

MEMORY: 16GB (4x4) DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel RAM

COOLING: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan

This is plugged into two Acer 231HL 23" Monitors.

Help me Obiwan, you're my only hope :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iamchuckb

iamchuckb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:24 PM

A little more about the flicker itself:

They don't flicker at the same time, but it is usually within a couple seconds. The flickering starts off fairly infrequently (~ once every five minutes?) but begins to occur more and more frequently until the game becomes unplayable (~ a 2-10 second flicker with perhaps 3 seconds of non-flicker in between). Eventually after they've both spazzed out for the appropriate amount of time, rather than recovering from the flicker I get the "Input Not Supported" error box that monitors like the throw. Turning the monitors off and then turning them back on clears this up. The flickering resumes pretty quickly, however.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users