Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSE blocked by group policy

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bramanga

bramanga

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:17 PM

Hi,

I am running a windows 7 machine at home and recently cloned the drive to a new hard drive (the old one was failing). Now I can't get Security Essentials to launch, and other programs like hijackthis give me the same error.

The error message is as follows:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe

This program is blocked by group policy. For more information, contact your system administrator.

This is a personal computer, and should not have any group policies. My user has administrator privileges, but still I cannot run MSE and cannot uninstall it either.

I'm not sure if this is a virus, adware/spyware, or just a registry error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

Looks like this is one of those known quirks that happen from time to time. The suggested fix is to uninstall MSE, and in some cases you need to use a special tool from Microsoft to do it. The fixit tool links are listed, along with some other diagnostics that may prove useful:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_start/can-run-remove-download-msft-security-essentials-i/7def2101-2607-447d-818e-4c6f2bbdcdcb

#3 bramanga

bramanga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:31 PM

Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and followed those instructions, but the fixit tool could not stop the Microsoft Antimalware service. I then tried the microsoft fixit online tool, and that was able to uninstall it.

I then followed the instructions to reinstall, and it said that the installation was successful. However, I get the same exact error when trying to run it. It also tells me that I can't uninstall it without administrator rights, but I am currently logged in as administrator.

Any other ideas? I've already tried a number of virus scans with malwarebytes, adaware, and spybot. They all show no problems. I also installed hijackthis, but that fails to run too for the same reason (group policy). Not sure what to try next.

Thanks.

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:37 PM

If you scroll further down that same link, there are some diagnostic tools you can run, including a tool to make sure MSE deletes thoroughly.

Do you have all those antivirus programs you listed installed and running? That could be part of the issue. Running too many antivirus programs can lead to problems, and some programs will actually falsely ID other programs as malware. If so, pick one and delete the rest.

You could also try booting into Safe Mode, installing MSE, Hijackthis, or another antivirus program, and scanning the computer while it is in safe mode.

If you've been installing, scanning and deleting these antivirus programs, and nothing is picking up any malware, it would appear a system file or files may have become corrupt when you cloned the drive. Go to the command prompt and type sfc /scannnow to fix that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users