Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Express 6 as the default email

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jckrbtak

jckrbtak

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 17 November 2004 - 05:52 PM

Hi,
I cant seem to find a fix for this. Hope you can help. I have a friend that I was helping over the phone installed Office XP on thier Windows XP SP2 machine. They had Office 97 and was having trouble with Outlook Express 6 spell check. I found a posting that said Office 97 didn't like XP SP2. So I had them uninstall Office 97 then install Office XP.
They normally use Outlook express 6 as their default email account. When we went to Internet Prop. to change Email default to Outlook Express there is no drop down. I had them do SP3 for Office XP but still didn't help. Trust me I have tried to switch them to Outlook but they won't do it. They are use to Outlook Express and some old dogs you just can't teach new tricks.
Does anyone know of a fix.
Thanks,
Jackie
Jackie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jayt6995

jayt6995

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2004 - 03:48 PM

They are running windows XP, do you know how they have the PC set up? do they have it setup for users or just a single person???? Otherwise, if I am understanding you correctly you are tyying to set the default mail in IE. You should just be able to go to Tools --> Internet Options --> Programs tab, and it should be listed there....

#3 jckrbtak

jckrbtak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2004 - 05:10 PM

They are the administrator of the PC. It is setup for users but only one user is using the machine. When I go to Internet properties -program tap- email- only Microsoft Outlook is in the drop down. Nothing else. Which I have never ran into before, thought maybe someone knew of a Office update or fix that I haven't found. Thanks for writing.
Jackie

#4 jckrbtak

jckrbtak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2004 - 07:05 PM

I found a Registry fix online
Worked great
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/oemissing.htm
Thanks
Jackie

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2004 - 08:27 AM

And thanks for posting the link. There may be others who will have the same problem, and your finding the correct answer and posting it, will help others.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users