Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD Failing or ???

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 GuitarFiend

GuitarFiend

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:07 PM

Mothers comp has been having problems for months now.First known issue was comp. going into boot-loops.Tried avast boot scan.I believe during the course of this scan it was looping.I left the comp alone and let it do it's thing overnight while scanning.Only checked on it occasionally.Got tired of it & finally went to sleep but left the comp running). After I got up I checked it again.Was actually surprised the scan even finished because  of the looping.

Scan told me about 2 possible viruses.Was able to remove only one.After some searching,found that the 2nd one may not even actually be a virus. In addition to this boot scan I have run Malwarebytes,CCleaner,Eusing free registry cleaner and (I believe) if I remember correctly,Spybot.

Everything seems (and seemed) to be up to date also (drivers/programs). Checked all (outside of the tower) connections and all seemed fine.Checked for dust clogging fans.All seemed okay.Ran recovery (not restore) (and for about 2 weeks +/- give/take) all seemed better.NOT ! Boot loping started again.Next,I did a restore.Again,things seemed fine (for awhile) (Again,2 weeks +/- give/take).

After (finally) being able to get the comps internet connection set up again (kept looping while trying to do this) computer was back online (supposedly). BUT-IE would work not work well.Kept erroring out.Finally (after boot looping during process of updating IE & downloading FF) I was able to get the browsers to start working again without erroring out constantly (sometimes).

Comp has been working (again +/- 2 weeks give/take) but still with browsers erroring out a lot.New problem...after booting up this morn,I went back to the comp & had a blank screen & comp tower was beeping.One (slightly long) beep.Repeating over & over.I am at my wits end with this comp.Been working on this for months now.And,if it matters,I have even tried MS's fix it center.

Have considered buying and trying a  new hard drive.But,is that the route I should go ? Is it maybe something else ? Motherboard,etc ? Loose connections inside the tower ? Maybe some (slightly) new ram that was installed (MONTHS ago) ??? I cannot keep a "constant" eye on this post today.But,every now & then I will check in.Any advice would be immensely helpful and much appreciated.

Your friendly neighborhood GuitarFiend

Edited by hamluis, 21 June 2013 - 12:33 PM.
Removed formatting, moved to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AbsoZed

AbsoZed

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:33 PM

That doesn't sound like a hard drive problem at all to me. It sounds like Windows should be reinstalled, failing all else. Sounds like you've got an old, bogged down installation. I hate to sound like this is my solution for everything, but it will make a new computer out of an old one 9 times out of 10.

#3 GuitarFiend

GuitarFiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:18 AM

Absozed-I know my post was a rather long one so (in case you forgot) I've actually already done that.Remember I said that I have done BOTH system "recovery" AND "restore" ?

#4 AbsoZed

AbsoZed

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:37 AM

Absozed-I know my post was a rather long one so (in case you forgot) I've actually already done that.Remember I said that I have done BOTH system "recovery" AND "restore" ?

Recovery/Restore isn't necessarily the same thing. Some files/registry values may be kept unless you did a COMPLETE factory restore. Here's a thought; Download SpeedFan, Install it on there, go to the tab that says "S.M.A.R.T.", and then select HD0 from the Dropdown box. Tell me what the Status box says, and if at all possible, give me the full results.

Edit: Better yet, Post a screenshot of it.

Edited by AbsoZed, 22 June 2013 - 12:38 AM.

#5 GuitarFiend

GuitarFiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:21 AM

Absozed-appreciate your response my friend.I cannot do this right now (trust me...it would be a long wait and I am in no shape for this right now.Very tired.Still just trying to get ideas). I I thought System "restore" was the same thing as re-installing windows ? No ?? I will do the "speedfan" thing.But,again,I cannot do it now.Thanks for your help my friend.I gotta get offa here :guitar:  :grinner: 

#6 AbsoZed

AbsoZed

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:22 AM

I don't believe System Restore is the same. It varies with different OEM brands. Let me know what the SpeedFan results are. Cheers! 

#7 LPTJared

LPTJared

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

Just for future reference NEVER use CCleaner EVER. CCleaner sometimes gets rid of necessary Windows files and things that are needed for your PC to run. Aside from that, it could be a bad HDD or a Corrupt Windows Install that is making it loop. I would try formatting the drive and re-installing Windows, and if that doesn't work and you still are running into problems then I would do like you said and either buy a new HDD or see if you have an extra laying around and try to install Windows on that. If neither of these things work then I would probably replace the motherboard next, if that doesn't work, I think it's time to build a new system. Hope this helps :)

Edited by LPTJared, 22 June 2013 - 08:43 PM.

#8 AbsoZed

AbsoZed

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:34 PM

Just for future reference NEVER use CCleaner EVER. CCleaner sometimes gets rid of necessary Windows files and things that are needed for your PC to run. Aside from that, it could be a bad HDD or a Corrupt Windows Install that is making it loop. I would try formatting the drive and re-installing Windows, and if that doesn't work and you still are running into problems then I would do like you said and either buy a new HDD or see if you have an extra laying around and try to install Windows on that. If neither of these things work then I would probably replace the motherboard next, if that doesn't work, I think it's time to build a new system. Hope this helps :)

I have literally never heard that. I'd like to see some sort of evidence to back that up. Seems like hot air to me. Also, why build a new system when there may be nothing wrong with this one?

#9 LPTJared

LPTJared

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:03 PM

I have literally never heard that. I'd like to see some sort of evidence to back that up. Seems like hot air to me. Also, why build a new system when there may be nothing wrong with this one?

Because by the time you get a new HDD and/or motherboard I don't see a point in wasting more money to try and fix it. I personally would rather build a new PC over trying to keep fixing it, but that's just what I would do and what I would recommend. The CCleaner thing is mostly people being careless but there have been some reports of it getting rid of Windows files, just be careful if you do use it.

#10 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:07 PM

I use CCleaner 3.03 ALL THE TIME without any problems, - (Daily). Vis a vis the problems you are encountering I would run Malwarebytes to see if it comes up with any virus problems, and failing that, I would copy any files you want to keep onto CDs or another partition, then format the Windows partition, then reinstall Windows, and your various programs. With that done, I would install a second HDD and partition it into a few partitions, one or more for whatever data you want to keep, and at least one for a "GHOST IMAGE" of your "C" drive so that in the event of future problems you can restore it from the "GHOST IMAGE" which works a heck of a lot better than "Windows Restore" does, because "GHOST" ERASES the whole partition, - Getting rid of any viruses or defective files, - before copying the image files into your "C" partition. Further, "GHOST" enables you to "Restore your "C" drive to exactly the state it was in when the "GHOST IMAGE" was made, and therefore you don't have to reinstall all your software programs, or recreate any personal "User Files" that may be on your "C" partiton.

Edited by JHMcG, 22 June 2013 - 10:45 PM.

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:30 PM

I thought System "restore" was the same thing as re-installing windows ? No ??

No, a system restore is not the same thing as system recovery.

System Restore is a Windows system rollback. It resets Windows and a majority of programs back to previous saved states, undoing any updates, new installations, and settings changes that have happened after the restore point was set. It doesn't, however, recover deleted data files or get rid of infection. Your data will be unaffected by a Windows System Restore.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090730094327AAsngB3

System recovery is a reinstall of the operating system.

System Recovery is usually what the manufacturer calls their built-in tool to reset the entire computer to factory default. If your computer came with restore or recovery disks then they accomplish the same thing. All data on the system is wiped and only what came on the system originally is reinstalled, courtesy of the recovery disks. All your data, added programs, and ideally virus infections are removed, and the system is just like it was when you bought it.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090730094327AAsngB3

If you did a recovery and the behavior continued it's unlikely that another reinstall will cure it.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 June 2013 - 10:39 PM.

#12 GuitarFiend

GuitarFiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:17 PM

Evie-When I looked up the definition and the difference between "restore" & "recovery before I tried both of them,the definition of "recovery" was to restore a computer to its original factory software configuration.I take that to mean "a re-install",Isn't that correct ?

. And,"restore" was a "rollback" to an earlier state and date in time.

LPTJared-Thank you my friend.I like your reply.That makes the most sense to me so far.I just didn't know how far to go with this thing before just replacing it.So,if a "re-install" doesn't do the trick, I will take your advice & try a new HDD & then motherboard.

(I just hope the recovery discs my mother made years ago were made properly.That's why instead of using the discs the first time I just used the "system recovery" option.Because I thought that was the same thing
)

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:36 PM

Yes, a recovery is a reinstall which puts the computer back to factory condition, exactly the way it was when you took it out of the box. When you see "format" or "clean install" they are referring to recovery.

And,"restore" was a "rollback" to an earlier state and date in time.

Windows saves certain points in time. These are used for a system restore. For example, suppose you have an issue that started today. You can use system restore to go back to point just before the issue began. If a restore point was created yesterday you could use that one.

You may not need the recovery disks. The computer may have a recovery partition on it, which does the same thing as the disks.

(if a custom build it will not have a recovery partition)

Without knowing the manufacturer/model number of the computer no one will be able to tell you how to access the partition. You can look at the start menu/All Programs to see if there are any folders related to the manufacturer and if recovery is listed in any of them.

example: for my HP laptop Start/All Programs/Security and Protection/HP Recovery Manager

My desktop is a custom build so I have to use a Windows disk for it since it has no recovery partition.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 23 June 2013 - 08:55 AM.

#14 AbsoZed

AbsoZed

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:43 PM

Because by the time you get a new HDD and/or motherboard I don't see a point in wasting more money to try and fix it. I personally would rather build a new PC over trying to keep fixing it, but that's just what I would do and what I would recommend. The CCleaner thing is mostly people being careless but there have been some reports of it getting rid of Windows files, just be careful if you do use it.

Two things: A) Nobody said anything about replacing any parts, B) System Integrity Protection. You can't just go deleting Sys32.

Now, before we derail this thread...

#15 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:15 AM

Now, before we derail this thread...

It's already derailed. Let's get it back on track.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users