Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Installer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 richC

richC

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 16 April 2006 - 04:08 AM

Hello people --first post here so be gentle --;)
I have just bought NIS 2006 after getting a particularily bad virus that only Ewidos picked up--Avg missed it completely--as did Sophos (free versions)--have uninstalled all antivirus at present-though have set ups on disk.
Running XP pro sp2 (not validated)--it loads Adobe reader 7 from the Norton disk with no problem .
But when it goes through set up --it tries to update my Windows Installer and fails --with the message "unable to update windows installer-if problem persists contact www.microsoft.com"
Have downloaded Windows Installer 3.1 to disk --it goes through the set up procedure to the point where it is loading files into a temp folder -then comes up with "Access Denied"--i have checked the services settings for MSI and they seem fine --and if i look in the event log --it says all went ok
Can anyone please help since i no -longer trust AVG or Sophos -
Hopefully awaiting a reply
Rich

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 16 April 2006 - 06:55 AM

I see you said< "after getting a particularly bad virus that only Ewidos picked up" I would suggest downloading the Hijackthis and running it. Get the program from the following link:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

After running the hijackthis post the log file into this forum below for analysis

HijackThis Logs and Analysis
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

It might take a little while for it to be analyzed but the results are fantastic and accurate. And this will eliminate anymore bad stuff on your system and you will be one step closer to installing Symantec's software.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 16 April 2006 - 10:58 AM

Running XP pro sp2 (not validated)

What does this mean?

I believe one of the updates that Windows Update issued was for the installer and there have been many updates since SP2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users