Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Peterlu654

Peterlu654

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

I just got a new laptop and installed Windows 7 on it, and there are two disks - C (OS) and D (Data). Drive C has 250+ gb of free space on it. Is it ok to put non-OS related files on this disk? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:54 AM

Absolutely.

You can put programs, files, or anything other than operating system files/programs on any drive that is in your computer (you can but it is not recommended).

For example I have a 128GB SSD as my C: drive, all of my other programs are on my D: or E: drives because the C drive is small and you want as little on SSD's as possible (its more complicated than that but thats the gist of it)

#3 Peterlu654

Peterlu654
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:22 PM

But why is it not recommended? Will it slow down the computer or something? Feels like a waste of 250 gb xD

#4 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:11 PM

Is your C drive an SSD (Solid State Drive)?

if it is that is the only reason it would not be recommended, SSD's have a relatively short lifespan when compared to HDD's, and the more programs that you run off the drive the more work you will make the drive do, and the faster it will run out.

It wont really affect performance until you have it 80-90% full, its mostly just to preserve the drive for as long as possible.

You want to run all programs off of HDD's not SSD's files it doesnt really matter either way, but I would put as much on HDD's as possible

#5 Peterlu654

Peterlu654
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

Nah, it's an HDD. Well, thanks for answering!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users