Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java Update June 2013

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:15 AM

Good morning.

Not sure if there's an issue or not but wanted to post since I didn't see any other Member's had posted anything similar with the latest Java Update.

Both me and the wife got the prompt to update Java; she got hers last night  and I got mine this morning.

We're both running Windows 7 and we both have disable Java content in our browsers anyway but we like to stay updated and/or patched, so we downloaded the latest offering  (and declined the Free McAfee Security Scan, thank you very much :lol: )  and just as it appeared to complete the process, we both received this pop up:

[/URL]">http://JavaIssue62113.png

Sorry about the pic size...still haven't *quite* figured out the best way to insert a pic in these Forums.

So I did a quick check on both our machines and we're both running Version 7 Update 25, which appears to be the latest, according to the Test Java version via the Java website...but it also shows that it was installed on March 18th of this year.

So I Googled the main phrase of the pop up but that only lead me to any number of technical articles that were  way  beyond my pay grade.

Also, in our Control Panel, it shows the Java version to be 32-bit although both our machines are 64-bit.  :mellow:

So, is something amiss?

Should I uninstall both versions and reinstall only the 64 bit versions?

Should I curse the names of all who work at Oracle?

Should I be troubled by Oracle's incredible product placement in the latest Iron Man movie?

Or should I just run some Full Scans to make sure nothing nasty got downloaded and then chalk the rest up to, "Well, it is Java..."?

Feedback, details, impressions and insight are all welcome here at the Winterland compound.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:19 AM

You may still have the Update item checked from a previous install -

Java 7 Update 25 has been released -

#3 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:40 AM

noknojon, thanks for the quick reply and the information.

The only thing that still confounds me is the 3/18/2013 install date that is still showing in my Control Panel for this version.

I don't have any old versions running, so if the 3/18/2013 was the last time I did update, what was the update that I got flagged for the other night?

Anyone else get the notification that Java had an update to install and then the failure message?

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:29 AM

If you are using IE, which version is it & is it the 32-bit or 64-bit version?

You got a message that no updates done since file contents do not match; maybe the update you installed didn't complete properly

--- You could check your Event Viewer record to find out if there is an error message and Windows Update history for a failed install 

--- The March 18 date might be the last successful update

--- And that's probably the "conflict" involved in the full text of the error message you posted

--- Since I'm just a cmptrgy, I'd probably be overwhelmed beyond my pay grade also trying to decipher recommended technical articles especially since I'd like to explain better how I'm trying to reason this out

As far as Java for your 64-bit system

--- Normally I don't like to fix something if it ain't broke but I would look into Windows Update history to see if the install you did failed or passed

--- Then check event viewer for an error code. I don't recall the categories in Win7 but a warning code (I think it's in Yellow) might not be problem but that would have to be determined but if there is a critical error code (I think its in Red) that defintely needs to be evaluated

I would also check out Which Java download should I choose for my 64-bit Windows operating system

http://java.com/en/download/faq/java_win64bit.xml

You asked whether or not anyone else had a Java notication update but then an error message 

--- I have twice: One was on my friends Vista system and another one on my brother's XP system

--- In each case I uninstalled Java and then reinstalled from Java's website with success

--- On the Vista computer, I actually found a corrupt Java file so it made sense to me to do what I did

--- I don't recall the error message on XP computer, but it made sense to me to uninstall/reinstall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users