Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Protection for my iPad 2

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Charisse_V

Charisse_V

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:41 AM

hi, just got in this forum.

I've been using my iPad 2 for about 5 months now. And my brother told me I should get a find case for it. I was wondering if you do have a thing or two to suggest.

I got online and saw a neat accessory that can also act as a keyboard (bluetooth I guess) 

http://clamcase.com/bluetooth-ipad-keyboard-case.html

but still not sure as somewhat rather pricey.

Anyway, hope to hear some piece.  :radioactive:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

hi, just got in this forum.

I've been using my iPad 2 for about 5 months now. And my brother told me I should get a find case for it. I was wondering if you do have a thing or two to suggest.

I got online and saw a neat accessory that can also act as a keyboard (bluetooth I guess) 
http://clamcase.com/bluetooth-ipad-keyboard-case.html

but still not sure as somewhat rather pricey.

Anyway, hope to hear some piece.  :radioactive:

Do you have desires in terms of the case? Do you want a built-in keyboard (like the ClamCase has)? Do you want a case that can also act as a stand for the iPad but without a keyboard? Or do you just want just some plain old case that is purely to protect the iPad (no need for a stand "feature", etc)? How protected do you want the iPad to be?

There are all kinds of variations of iPad cases/bags out there, so it will really depend on what you really want out of the case. And even then the answers you will get will be highly dependent on the personal biases of the individuals recommending the cases (i.e. people generally tend to recommend what they have and use even though they likely have not used or even "laid hands on" 99+% of the other cases out there).

For example, I use a ZooGue Genius Pro with my iPad 2:

http://www.zoogue.com/products/iPad-2-Case-Genius-Black-Leather.html

On the plus side, it does offer some pretty good protection. I can also put the iPad in a "stand" position when viewing in landscape mode. It has an elastic strap that you can use to keep it closed, as a hand strap, or to attach the case and iPad to the back of a car's front seat for people to watch movies in the rear. The current version does have the magnetic on/off feature like Apple's "SmartCover". On the downsides, it does make the iPad more "bulky" (i.e. more than doubles the thickness). It also was quite smelly for the first few months, but it is fine now.

I have also used Apple's SmartCover. It did protect the screen from scratches, etc when I put it in a bag if you are careful how you slide it in, but otherwise did not offer the iPad much protection as the back is fully exposed and, while the cover will generally stay on, it can "open up" with relatively little force.

I also have a relatively cheap cover with a built-in keyboard. Since I have a laptop, I don't use it that much...but it works in a pinch if I want.

I have used a few other cases briefly when using friends or relative's iPads. I have used a Targus case on my cousin's iPad that worked fairly well:

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-THZ045US-Versavu-Rotating-Interior/dp/B004N62HZI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2KW92N4JHUG4O&coliid=IP128BDY5XZWE

It had the advantage of being able to put iPad in a stand position either in landscape or portrait mode.

If you want just raw, basic protection, then you could just get a sleeve type case that the bare iPad slides into. You could even do the sleeve in combination with an Apple SmartCover. Either of these two option might be a good option if you like using the "bare" iPad, but want some protection when you are carrying it around but not actively using it. Of course, they don't provide much protection if you drop it while using it.

At the end of the day, there are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of possible responses to your inquiry.

#3 Charisse_V

Charisse_V
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:37 PM

Thanks smax013, appreciate it.

Viewed the link and it sure looks good especially with the 30-day risk free trial. Wanted to press the Add to Cart had my brother not pulled the plug (I was on his PC).

Anyway, I'm gonna take a second look. Pretty soon.After I do some legwork.

Thanks again, you saved me some sweat.  :guitar:

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:12 AM

Thanks smax013, appreciate it.

Viewed the link and it sure looks good especially with the 30-day risk free trial. Wanted to press the Add to Cart had my brother not pulled the plug (I was on his PC).

Anyway, I'm gonna take a second look. Pretty soon.After I do some legwork.

Thanks again, you saved me some sweat.  :guitar:

If you want to look over some (a little bit of an understated word in this case) third party reviews, you can look here:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/review_grades/search&category=430&cat=428&subcat428=430&order=entry_date+desc/

They tend to do fairly detailed reviews, although I still tend to take the "grades" with a bit of a grain of salt.

FWIW, I did not find a review from them for the ZooGue case. I did find this third party review, although it not very thorough:

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/08/19/ipad-cases-and-stands-the-few-the-proud-the-innovative/

#5 Charisse_V

Charisse_V
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:15 AM

wow, way to go!

I am pretty impressed.

muchas gratias smax013! :guitar:

#6 Charisse_V

Charisse_V
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:18 AM

a friend of mine, Eunice, has shown me her ClamCase. my, my kinda heavy. but talk 'bout total protection.

it covers the iPad like a clam would do its pearl. Viewed the light one too. was that zagg folio. also nice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users