Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

virus protection

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 angrybird290

angrybird290

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:04 AM

Tried loading kaspersky i.s. using cd. cd works on other computer on mine error message could not verify file. so i bought avg anti virus 2013 down loads but won't run. get the procedure entry pount decodepointer could not be located in the dynamic link library kernel32.dll. its an hp nx6320 running xp. help please

Edit: Moved topic from All Other Applications to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:22 AM

Is your computer running service pack three? Does it have dot net framework installed?

Zestypanda

*Moderator Edit: removed instructions to run DDS and post the log. Use of DDS is allowed ONLY in Malware Removal Logs. Only members of the Malware Response Team or Moderators are allowed to help people with logs. Please read this for more information http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/126946/a-reminder-to-our-members-regarding-malware-logs/ ~ Queen-Evie*

Edited by Queen-Evie, 21 June 2013 - 11:07 AM.

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:07 AM

angrybird290,

I have removed your DDS log and the subsequent post stating you hope you did it correctly.
Here at Bleeping Computer the only people authorized to request a DDS log are members of the malware removal team and are only allowed to be posted in the Malware Removal Logs forum. They are also the only ones who can respond to DDS logs.

Please read this for more information http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/126946/a-reminder-to-our-members-regarding-malware-logs/

At this time it is not clear whether your issue is malware related. There are many things which can cause the issue you describe.
If someone helping you thinks the possibility of malware exists you will be directed to the proper forum.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 21 June 2013 - 11:28 AM.

#4 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

Well, as I stated previously my only intention was to see the list of installed programs I'm their computer to see if it was a simple issue, such as missing hot fixes or missing dependencies.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:56 PM

Well, as I stated previously my only intention was to see the list of installed programs... missing hot fixes or missing dependencies

Actually, you did not state that. It was not clear if you were looking for malware, installed programs, etc.
This is a portion of what was removed from your post which I documented BEFORE editing it to remove DDS instructions

It will give me more info to then work from

It really doesn't matter what your intention was. The rules regarding the use of DDS are very clear and has strict rules regarding its use and is not subject to/for debate in this topic or anywhere else.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 21 June 2013 - 02:08 PM.

#6 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:05 PM

I do believe that the real issue is what is wrong with their computer, not wether or not I did or did not use specific wording in my previous post which might of lead to ambiguity. My only intention was to gather more information so I could then proceed with advising them.

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

Hello angrybird290

I see that  you posted about this problem previously here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/497491/kaspersky-is/

I'm unclear from that topic whether you meant that you had just installed the operating system, XP, or if you had just installed Office Word XP.  If you did just install the operating system, it sounds from the error messages that you received both from trying to install Kaspersky and AVG that perhaps something did not get fully installed, or perhaps not installed in the right order.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

Well, as I stated previously my only intention was to see the list of installed programs I'm their computer to see if it was a simple issue, such as missing hot fixes or missing dependencies.

FTR: MiniToolbox is perfectly capable of listing the installed programs on a machine and is allowed across the forum.

Edited by bloopie, 22 June 2013 - 11:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users