Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Think im getting Dosed But not sure. :/ Please help!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TwisTDropshot

TwisTDropshot

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:23 AM

Hello And thank you for any help i can get! Ok so i have Comcast isp and the speed of comcast is usually 30Mbps up and 5Mbps Down over the past 2 weeks i have had problems were my internet speed drops down to .5Mbps. I thought it would be someone dosing me so i made a new skype since i thought thats how they got my ip and then changed my ip, i succesfully changed it and it stopedfor around 3-4 days later on i logged back into my skype account and about 2 hours later the internet again dropped down to about .5mbps due to a restriction with comcast i cant change my ip again! or at least thats what they told me when i called they also said i was getting the right speed and that everything looked fine on there end. Is there any way i can block this guy or get his ip and block it??  Any help would be appreciated, Thank you.

http://imageshack.us/f/546/vzwp.png/

Edited by TwisTDropshot, 21 June 2013 - 01:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TwisTDropshot

TwisTDropshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:14 PM

Can anyone here at least give me a full walk through on how to generate and succesfuly change my MAC address!?  PLEASE!

#3 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:32 PM

what operating system are you running, and is your internet wireless or wired? There's different approaches to "Spoof the Mac" on different versions of Windows, and wired or wireless internet.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:00 AM

Have you tried ipconfig/release and renew on cmd prompt? You may need a separate router that supports cloning MAC Address as checking online on some comcast customers have done this method.

Tekken

#5 TwisTDropshot

TwisTDropshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:38 PM

Well thank to all the replys but i got it changed have to change it about every 2 hours or i start lagging again :/ but thanks for all your help!

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:57 PM

Let's take a look at your signal levels, which can cause speed issues if they are out of whack.

Please connect your computer directly to the modem via Ethernet.

Post your upstream and downstream signal levels

Click the link or type: http://192.168.100.1 or http://10.0.0.1 into your browser. We are interested in your power levels (dBmV) and your Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR). You may also want to contact Comcast and ask for your upstream SNR (uSNR) and receive level.

You may not be able to access all modems by going to http://192.168.100.1 or http://10.0.0.1. You can probably find that information with an internet search or by asking on the forums* . If you are still unable to access your modems status page, you can contact Comcast Customer Support and ask the support representative for these values.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/Information-Requested-for-Connection-Related-Posts/td-p/1253381

Downstream Power Level: -10dBmV to +10dBmV is acceptable for modems. -7dBmV to +7dBmV is the ideal range and is also the specified range for telephony modems.
Downstream Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR): This number should be at least 33dB. Higher is better. Anything less than 33dB and you will probably have slow transfers, dropped connections, etc.
Upstream Power Level: This should be between 35dBmV and 50dBmV. If your levels are beyond this range, you will likely see frequent disconnects or modem reboots.
Upstream Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR): Above 30 is acceptable. Higher is better. Note: you will need to contact customer support to find out this value as it is not available via the cable modem status page.
Upstream Receive Power: Ideally this number should fall within the -7dBmV and +7dBmV range. Note: you will need to contact customer support to find out this value as it is not available via the cable modem status page.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/Connection-Troubleshooting-Tips/td-p/1253575

Also, what is the manufacturer/model of your modem?

*http://forums.comcast.com/

#7 TwisTDropshot

TwisTDropshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

My modem is an arris tm722g telephony modem

Attached Files

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

Your modem is not outdated.

As for your signal levels, they do fall within range. You do have some wiggle room. If they had been seriously out of spec I would know what to tell you.

What I suggest you do is post at the Comcast help forum in Basic Internet Connectivity And Modem Help.

You can, if you wish, included the same info that was in your first post.

One of the connection experts may have more insight into what could be causing your issue.

Follow the directions here http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/Information-Requested-for-Connection-Related-Posts/td-p/1253381 for speed problems and post the requested information.

My canned speech for CHF

I suggest you post in the Comcast Help Forums. If nothing else, your issue can be escalated to the forum administrator who can set the wheels in motion for a resolution.

Those Forums are provided to Comcast customers, and are a great resource for vendor specific issues. There are Forums for computer issues, email issues, security, internet, cable tv, CDV, billing, and customer service.
Many times we, the users there, can provide answers tech support and customer service can't.

Click the link below. The forum landing page will open. Click Sign In. Log in with your Comcast user ID (the part before .net) and your password. You will next see a first time forum users page, asking you to choose a screen name for use in the Forums. Once you set that up, you'll be taken back to the landing page. PLEASE DO NOT USE YOUR COMCAST EMAIL NAME FOR YOUR FORUM USER NAME.
http://forums.comcast.com/

Before posting, take a moment to read the Posting Guidelines. The link is on the top right hand side of the page.

Then choose the appropriate board to post in.

One thing to be aware of: By default you will be notified via email every time someone replies to a topic you have started or replied in. If you do not wish to receive the notifications you can disable them by clicking My Settings/Subscriptions & Bookmarks tab. Uncheck the box next to Automatically subscribe me to topics I participate in. Scroll down and click Save

DO NOT USE THE UNSUBSCRIBE LINK IN THE REPLY NOTIFICATION EMAIL. Due to a quirk with Lithium, the forum provider, if you use the link it severs the connection between your forum user name and the email address you sign in with.

Result: your forum account no longer exists in the database and it tells you that you are banned.

(Once you get to the forum, save the page to your favorites/bookmarks. If you want to get to it from the Comcast home page, you have to jump through hoops to reach it)

#9 TwisTDropshot

TwisTDropshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

Well it looks like it was my power levels after all take a look at this pic                                              http://imageshack.us/f/832/puwr.png/

Since it is my power levels what can i do to fix it?? any reply would be very help full thanks

Edited by TwisTDropshot, 03 July 2013 - 03:18 PM.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:00 PM

Your stats, especially the downstream, are bad. The upstream levels are on the edge. Is it hot where you are?

Here is the standard spiel by EG, who is a connection expert in the Comcast forum.

The upstream power is too high and may be intermittently fluctuating even higher out of spec. The downstream power is weak as well. That will cause random disconnects and spontaneous re-booting of the modem. In an effort to try to obtain better connectivity, are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured ? Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1000 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage from Radio Shack, Home Depot, etc.

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and scrape off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

Due to the electrical properties of resistance, the hotter it gets, the worse the signals / connection get. Be aware that the issue may be beyond your premises somewhere in the neighborhood lines but troubleshooting should begin at the premises. Things may get worse.. Are you having any T.V. reception problems / picture tiling?

Check the signal levels several times a day and save them. If it gets hot where you are take one in the morning when it is cooler then at least one during the hottest part of the day.

If you do have to get a tech out just say you need one to check your signal levels. Show the tech the screenshots. Any tech worth his salt will know what it all means and can begin the troubleshooting process.

#11 TwisTDropshot

TwisTDropshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:45 PM

It actually does get very hot today and yesterday it was actually around 100-110 i didn't know that heat we be the problem causer! i will call comcast up tomorrow and have a tech come and look at the power levels thank you very much for this.  

Looks like it will stay hot for another week just looked at the forecast and all the temps are over 100 and the night temps don't drop bellow 80! And i don't have tv i only have internet through comcast and use my apple tv for television.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users