Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help bsod - recovery options not loading

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jkad

jkad

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:16 PM

Got home from work today to find that wife has crashed our desktop an hp pavilion. 

BSOD message: unmountable boot volume  stop: 0x000000ED... etc.

Have not recently installed any new hardware or software.

The real kicker is that when I restart it and it prompts me to launch in startup repair or normally, clicking start up repair brings me to the point where I see the blue backsplash, but no menu ever pops up (like the one to select your language etc.).  left it for a few hours just to make sure and still nothing.

So I rebooted it, hit f8 and tried going into repair that way, did the same thing.

I created a repair disk on my other machine, popped it in and it did the same thing.  see the bluish background, but no menu or options ever pop up

I then rebooted, hit f9 (hp diagnostic tools)  HD failed test, error code BIOHD-8  a SMART test failed on the drive.

Failed smart test in bios as well stating that the self test status value:  7 (completed with the read eleme of the test failed)

After doing a little research (google) I came across some posts where HP diagnostic tools where a little off and the motherboard can be to blame for this on some hp's or my HD is kaput (I hope not) or there is some nasty little virus infecting my machine (but I can't even run FRST as no options for system repair ever appear)

Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:26 PM

Hi

I never saw HP diagnostics giving a false positive. A virus infection can't affect the health test of your hard disk. HP diagnostics won't read the data written on the drive. If it says the test failed, then most probably your hard disk will be faulty. As a second opinion, you can use hard disk manufacturer's diagnostic tool to  check it's health status. 

For Seagate and Samsung drives - http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

For Western Digital drives - http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=606&sid=2&lang=en

For Thoshiba or HGST drives - Use Seatools

#3 Guest_Francis Houle_*

Guest_Francis Houle_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:06 AM

BSOD unmountable boot volume = your hard drive is defective

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users