Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows freezes during start up

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 CluelessNamio

CluelessNamio

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:24 PM

Hi Everybody,

I've organized my post in a block format listing my computer information, issue, and how I've tried to fix it in an effort to make it easier to read. Thank you in advanced for any help you offer.

Problem: I'm having issues getting my computer to start up in normal mode. It almost always freezies up during the start up phase. But it does so at different times. Half the time the computer will power on but the monitor remains completly blank. Somewhat less frequently, the computer will show the Bios information but stop before it gets to the Windows logo. JOther times the computer will freeze once the Windows logo shows up. And if I'm lucky enough to get to the desktop, the computer will freeze while loading the shortcuts.

What I've done: I've suspected that I got a virus because it didn't start behaving this way until right after I made a download and I found my Avast antivirus disasbled and unable to be reinstalled fresh. So I ran RogueKiller, adwcleaner, Malwarebytes, ESET online scanner, and a fresh install of AVG antivirus per advice I've seen other people get on these forums and elsewhere. Everything except AVG said they found something.  I instructed them to delete the questionable files. But if anything the computer started having more problems starting up afterwards. I've also tried running the Chkdsk /r utility but it always freezes in the process.

If you need more information let me know and i'll provide it as quickly as I can. Again thank you for any help you can give.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

I would recommend posting this in the Am I infected? forum, or asking the forum moderator to move it there. Hopefully they can help you spot the issue and fix it. Any attempt to repair the OS at this point would almost certainly be futile until the malware issue is addressed.

#3 CluelessNamio

CluelessNamio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:44 PM

Alright, I will. Thanks for the help.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:44 AM

Reposted in AII, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/498728/windows-freezes-during-start-up/#entry3083994 .