Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System degrade due to lack of use?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 4on4off

4on4off

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:45 PM

I was curious if others out there have experienced this.

One of my system is running xp pro and it does not get used very often at all but whenever I do fire it up it seems to be slower each time.

Could it be that it is dying on me due to not being ran very often? Does that make any sense?

Edited by hamluis, 20 June 2013 - 04:30 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

I would not expect lack of use by itself to make a computer run slower. With the exception of the cooling fans and the hard drive, all the rest is solid state electronics. If the hard drive was running slower, due to any HD fault, I think you would be aware of a HD problem.

It may be psychological !  Not that you are going crazy but, because you normally use a more modern, faster, machine it just seems slower when you go back to it. It may always have been slow in the first place !  We have an elderly Toshiba Satellite running XP as a spare computer, it used to be my wife's before we replaced it. It was always was slow, but when I go back to it now I find myself swearing at it !  It is incredibly reliable, just don't ask it to multi-task, but, hell's teeth, it's slow - but then it always was !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 4on4off

4on4off
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:35 AM

Chris,

Thanks for the reply.

I wouldn't think so either. I am certain it is not malware as I generally run that machine through the ringer once in awhile. I agree that it may seem slow due to using a newer machine most the time but it has never seemed to be as slow as it is behaving. About ready to bag the thing and blow the dust off the vista machine I got in storage or maybe do a clean install just to satisfy my curiosity.

#4 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

My opinion is that its perspective...

You have another computer that Im guessing is faster, probably running windows 7, which is a whole different ball game, so it just feels like the XP machine is running slower.

I have found this working on other people's computers, mine is fast but after a while it starts to feel a little sluggish when it really isnt, but moving to an XP machine feels like molasses.

Its all perspective methinks

#5 4on4off

4on4off
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

GreenGiant,

Thank you for the reply and I can totally understand that. I will say though that I have been bouncing between windows 7 and xp for quite some time now and it has never seemed to be as slow as it has gotten. I know that both kids rarely use it now due to this fact and stick with there laptops.

Thanks again for the reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users