Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comptuter Beeps

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Stealth Assassin

Stealth Assassin

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

Hi There;

For the past two weeks, my PC has been beeing four short beeps during normal operation (not during the Power On Self Test). The PC is on all day but is under minimal stress and the CPU is 36 Celsius when idling (I ran Core Temp). Im not 100% sure whats causing the beeps- ive tried ran Memtest and it passed with flying colours and the CMOS battery is fine. 

Any Ideas?

Pc Spec:

Acer Aspire X1301

Windows 7 Home Premium

CPU: AMD ATHLON II x4 620

RAM: 4.00 GB (3.75 usable) DDR2

Motherboard: Acer WMCP78M (Socket AM2 )

Motherboard Chipset Vendor and Model: NVIDIA, nForce 720a

BIOS: Brand Phoenix Technologies, LTD
           Version P01-A0
           Date 08/28/2009

HDD (this is in good condition): 640GB Western Digital Caviar 7200RPM 16MB cache 3Gb/s

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9200

GPU: C77/C78

Network: NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet

Above Information is from Speccy.

Many Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:45 PM

You may be able to use Post Codes to try to define the problem.

Louis

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:02 PM

I cannot find any reference to 4 beeps so far as beep codes are concerned.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 Stealth Assassin

Stealth Assassin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:33 AM

thanks for the manual.

as far as 4 beeps go, the only thing i could find was a possible RAM problem hence why i ran memtest which it passed. it doesnt happen during the POST, its happening when its being used (on the desktop etc) which might be why theres no reference to it on the BIOS codes. i checked the motherboard and theres no bulging capacitors or signs of short circuits and heat damage.  my main concern is if the HDD fails and theres no indication of that happening.

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:58 AM

Only other time I have heard beeps when the system is running it was due to a CPU overheat warning.  What is your CPU temp loaded?

Intel burn test.zip   http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/intelburntest.html

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 Stealth Assassin

Stealth Assassin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:16 PM

i ran core temp just after it happened and the temp was 38 celsius. the ram is at 2.69GB out of 3.75 but the pc has been on for about 12 hours. the CPU was not under any load which is peculiar.

ill post the temp when the CPU is under 90-100% load.

#7 Stealth Assassin

Stealth Assassin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:34 AM

i ran the PC at 80-100% CPU and using 3GB of ram for 15 minutes. the temperature increased from 38 Celsius to 53 Celsius but came back to 49 when the CPU dropped to 60%. normally the fan is spinning so fast you cant hear yourself think, but it was idling. the fan still works which is why it passes POST but doesnt seem to respond to changing activity. however you can hear the fan speeding up a little bit.  

ill open the machine and see if theres is a loose connection but if that doesnt do anything is it a case of replacing the fan?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

Max temp range is 55-71 Celsius.

If the overheating warning is enabled in the BIOS...it's likely that was the noise you heard.

If it were me...I simply buy a better heatsink/fan and replace.  Generally, AMD stock heatsinks/fans do the job, but...things go wrong all the time in this world :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users