Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desk top computer won't turn on

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bead87

Bead87

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:51 PM

I have a computer built by Centarus Computers.  It was working ok til about January 16th.  After it did an update install it was slower opening windows and doing certain tasks.  Then I noticed that if the power went out or if I shut it off to clean the fans off that it didn't want to start up again.  This happened off and on, but when it did it would take several days before it would finally turn back on.  I thought it was my power supply, so I just recently changed it out for a brand new one.  Now it won't turn on at all, it has been over a month since I changed out the psu and it still won't turn on.  I show my ethernet port is getting power since the light for it on my router is glowing green like it is supposed to.  If I unplug the comp from all power, then plug it back in, I push the power button to turn it on, I hear 1 small "click" and nothing happens.  If I push the power button again, nothing.  Not even that "click".  If I go through the whole unplug process again, THEN I get the "click" again, but only after I unplug & plug it each time!

Please, can somebody help me with any ideas?  I am afraid that it may be my motherboard, but would it still power my ethernet if it was bad?  I am hoping that it will just be a bad power switch that needs to be replaced.  I am waiting on a POST tester I ordered, but wanted to get input from you guys in the mean time.

Edited by hamluis, 20 June 2013 - 04:24 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AbsoZed

AbsoZed

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:35 PM

Make sure the 4 pin connector as well as 20 pin is plugged into the motherboard correctly, coming from the power supply. Then unplug the PSU, remove and reseat the RAM, hold the power button for 20 seconds. Plug it back in, and try turning it on. Let me know if it works!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users