Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Failure: Code 800F0900

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hikaricloud

hikaricloud

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:32 PM

So I've been beating my head against a wall on this machine for a while. Every time WU runs, I get this error code. I found information on this site about how to fix it, but it's user/situation specific. I've already tried sfc /scannow, tweaking.com's windows repair (all-in-one), uninstalling AV and horrid Net Nanny software (client's computer)...nothing. Error is still persistent. Also ran the System Update Readiness Tool and I have a log from that:

=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7601.21645
Package Version 19.0
2013-06-19 17:42

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs
(f)	CBS MUM Corrupt	0x800F0900	servicing\Packages\WUClient-SelfUpdate-Core-AdmComp~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~7.6.7600.256.mum		Line 1: t

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:
Seconds executed: 255
 Found 1 errors
  CBS MUM Corrupt Total count: 1

Unavailable repair files:
	servicing\packages\WUClient-SelfUpdate-Core-AdmComp~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~7.6.7600.256.mum
	servicing\packages\WUClient-SelfUpdate-Core-AdmComp~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~7.6.7600.256.cat

I've seen I'll either need manifest/packages files or to use SFCfix.exe with a script. I've never run into this issue before...would also appreciate if someone could explain to me how I would go about troubleshooting this on my own using logs or anything else I need, so if I run into this problem again I can diagnose on my own. I help run a computer shop and like to learn new stuff, lol.

For info  purposes, these are the two threads I've been going over:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/493895/error-code-800f0900-windows-update-failure/

http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-update/6104-window-update-code-error-800f0900.html

Thanks for any help you can offer.

EDIT: Windows 7 Pro x64 is the OS.

Edited by hikaricloud, 20 June 2013 - 01:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 niemiro

niemiro

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

Hello :)

Firstly...I can help you fix this machine, but cannot teach you how to fix these issues in general. I personally teach a course (not currently publicly accessible but likely to be made more accessible in September), but it takes up to six months to complete - not something I can teach you in a single post!

However, I do have a website which is currently in the early stages of construction but which will provide a subset of the information from that course. This tutorial: http://niemiro.co.uk/Blog/windows-update-troubleshooting/system-update-readiness-tool-surt/surt-log-basic-tutorial/

will teach you how to fix the simplest couple of errors from a CheckSUR.log. Anything more complex...nope :P

But for now:

WARNING: This fix has been created specifically for this user. If you are not this user, do not follow these instructions as you could cause serious harm to your computer.

1. Please download the zip file and save this to your Desktop from here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g0l1jjq63irah3o/hikaricloud.zip
  2. Right-click on the file and select Extract All...
  3. Tick the box labelled Show extracted files when complete then click Extract
  4. Copy all of the files into
    C:\Windows\Temp\CheckSur\Servicing\Packages
  5. Run the System Update Readiness Tool (SURT) again
  6. When the SURT finishes installing, please again upload
    C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

(sorry about the loss of line breaks)

Richard

Edited by niemiro, 20 June 2013 - 01:46 PM.

One of the very few people in the world who is truly enthused about Windows Update and how it works...

Yes, I'm a bit weird :P

#3 hikaricloud

hikaricloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:51 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! I appreciate the link to your website...I don't normally see errors like this in the shop, so general information is alright. Most of our work is system cleans and rewrites, heh.

As for the zip file, it doesn't have separate folders, just the two files from the log. I assume looking at the log they would go in the packages folder, am I correct?

EDIT: Ah, I see your edit now, good. :D Thanks.

Edited by hikaricloud, 20 June 2013 - 01:53 PM.

#4 hikaricloud

hikaricloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

Here's the updated log:

=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7601.21645
Package Version 19.0
2013-06-20 14:57

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs
(f)	CBS MUM Corrupt	0x800F0900	servicing\Packages\WUClient-SelfUpdate-Core-AdmComp~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~7.6.7600.256.mum		Line 1: t
(fix)	CBS MUM Corrupt	CBS File Replaced	WUClient-SelfUpdate-Core-AdmComp~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~7.6.7600.256.mum from Cabinet: C:\Windows\CheckSur\v1.0\windows6.1-7601-x64-clientcab4.cab.
(fix)	CBS Paired File	CBS File also Replaced	WUClient-SelfUpdate-Core-AdmComp~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~7.6.7600.256.cat from Cabinet: C:\Windows\CheckSur\v1.0\windows6.1-7601-x64-clientcab4.cab.

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:
Seconds executed: 272
 Found 1 errors
 Fixed 1 errors
  CBS MUM Corrupt Total count: 1
  Fixed: CBS MUM Corrupt.  Total count: 1
  Fixed: CBS Paired File.  Total count: 1

Ran WU again, it hasn't error'd out, but it's just been checking for updates the past couple minutes.

EDIT: Scratch that, it pulled updates up! :D Thanks for the help and the link to your site, I'll definitely be giving it a read!

Edited by hikaricloud, 20 June 2013 - 02:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users