Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H or ASRock Z87 Extreme6?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kd2013

kd2013

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H or ASRock Z87 Extreme6? I've read some reviews and some benchmarks, both are on sale in a bundle deal at newegg need to pick one the gigabyte is $5 more, I've read the gigabyte brand is slightly more of a reliable brand should I go with their model?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:13 AM

Lean towards the Gigabyte offering just because of the slot layout, and there is a marginally better chance of having less problems with the Gigabyte.  Audio CODECs are different, not a deal breaker in my book.  ASRock has dual LAN ports.

Sometimes it seems that Asrock is slow to fix problems/update BIOS.  Now, I have had a problem with a Gigabyte board in the past, but to their credit, they took care of the problem fast (2 week turnaround) and after the RMA I never had another problem with it.   Truth be told you will likely be disappointed with the warranty service of any board maker.  I am posting from an AMD/ASRock system I built a couple years ago and it has been a rock.  I have used motherboards from ALL of the big makers and honestly, the only ones I actively avoided were the "3 letter" brands.

I think both boards will serve you well.  Go to the respective websites and download the manuals for the boards and go through them.  Look at the layouts, figure what you want/need on the board.  Do you have any old PCI cards that need a home in your build?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 kd2013

kd2013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

its a completely new build, my first one. I think both options will be fine but I think I'm going to get the gigabyte many people seem to prefer it over asrock
parts purchased so far
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/kd2013/saved/1JRv

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

So you have actually purchased all of those parts on the list?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

I agree to dpunisher . Gigabyte is more reliable than Asrock.

#6 kd2013

kd2013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

yes I've purchased these i have ordered these parts some i ordered today prices listed include shipping,rebates and taxes

i5 4670k & gigabyte ga z87 ud3h $340,

kingston memory 16gb hyperx $70 (after rebate),

2x powercolor radeon 7750 $125 (after rebates), http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=70112

2 case fans $10,

sparkle 850 psu $68 (after rebate)

total so far 633

I will need to get a case. I'm hoping one of those $15-25 sales reduced cases from $50-60 happens so I can get a decent case and keep the total at about $650, and maybe a cpu cooler (for the right price if it goes on sale)

the graphic cards haven't been shipped yet i'm wondering if I should change them, tigerdirect has powercolor has radeon hd 7770s each with an extra display port on the card for $85

Edited by kd2013, 20 June 2013 - 01:48 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

FWIW:  Asus...owns Asrock.  I have bought boards by each and it all comes down to what features you think are important, moreso than reliability, IMO.

Asrock is now the 3d largest manufacturer of motherboards around the world.

Louis

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:42 PM

yes I've purchased these i have ordered these parts some i ordered today prices listed include shipping,rebates and taxes

i5 4670k & gigabyte ga z87 ud3h $340,

kingston memory 16gb hyperx $70 (after rebate),

2x powercolor radeon 7750 $125 (after rebates), http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=70112

2 case fans $10,

sparkle 850 psu $68 (after rebate)

total so far 633

I will need to get a case. I'm hoping one of those $15-25 sales reduced cases from $50-60 happens so I can get a decent case and keep the total at about $650, and maybe a cpu cooler (for the right price if it goes on sale)

the graphic cards haven't been shipped yet i'm wondering if I should change them, tigerdirect has powercolor has radeon hd 7770s each with an extra display port on the card for $85

Personally with a budget of $650, i wouldn't spend that much on the CPU as it takes most of the budget up. Crossfiring low end gaming cards isn't really the best way to go as scaling in games won't be that great, the Sapphire 7790 would fit nicely. The power supply is an overkill as 2 7750 barely draws any power. If your just gaming and not doing any professional video/photo editing, 8GB of ram would be sufficient.

Edited by killerx525, 20 June 2013 - 02:44 PM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#9 kd2013

kd2013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:12 PM

we're building a stock/day trading computer with a budget of $500-700, I'm hoping the cards will be ok I'm pretty sure my broker's platform does not require nearly as much memory as games and should run ok with these cards. The cards I picked were basically the cheapest I could find that will run 6 independent display monitors for charts which was really the only goal of the build- be quick, able to run 6 monitors and cheaper than in an instore premanufactured computer for the quality/price. The prebuilt scenario was going to require graphic card(s) and probably a psu upgrade. We thought well that's half of a build there on top of the original cost which would probably be $350-500. I originally wanted to get a cheaper processor and motherboard but the processors prices have been going up on the cheaper ones, a good intel dual core would have cost $125-150 so I decided we might as well get a quad core I started looking a few days before the haswell release I waited and thought the dual core i3 prices and the older i5s would go down from the high 100s-low 200s. After the release all the cheaper cpus stopped going on sale and the retail focus was/is on haswell. A lot of stores that did have good sales on the older series (MC and Frays) were in store only and priced aggressively to get rid of the 2-5 in stock cpus. This is cpu mobo combo is 2x what I originally wanted to spend, but I'd probably be spending about $200-300 without this combo deal for an intel i3 or i5 spu/mobo setup. Basically I ended up buying whatever seemed like a good deal for its price. We weren't sure what type of graphic cards we were going to get and how many of them we needed and minimum psu wattage for them. The psu was one of the earlier purchases and was a spur of the moment buy based on a TD daily deal. I read some positive reviews on it but after I made the purchase I realized it wasn't one of the favorable cpu brands I debated sending it back but it had already been shipped out. I know it's overkill and I probably could have gotten something $30-50 that is a more reliable brand name. The ram was also a daily deal, I had been looking and $45-65 would get me 8gb, so I jumped on it.

I think as long as none of the parts fail this has the potential to be a pretty solid and reliable trading computer, not completely top of the line but more than what I’ll need for the next few years. I priced out the cost of trading computers before thinking about the build- they were all about 1-2k for computers (which is way out of my budget). So I looked at specifications and how they differed from instore models. I looked at the type of parts they were using and total cost and it seemed that the prices were pretty inflated compared to market parts cost. I know that labor is included and I do highly value it but in my current situation would not spend 1.5-2 thousand on a computer.

Edited by kd2013, 20 June 2013 - 04:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users