Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling Vista ????

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 john11139

john11139

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:18 AM

I bought a used computer at a flea market.  It orginally had Vista Business oem, with the sticker still attached with the COA number.  Some one had put Windows  XP on it and it had alot of junk and probably some virsus.  I had a Windows  7 Home Premiun any time up grade disc.  I thought it would recongnize my orignal oem COA.  It loaded ok and installed but will expire in 30 days because it didnt recongnize the COA.  I tried to recover the orginall Vista but no luck. I did a key search and the key is not the same as the one on the Vista sticker. It is a Dell Optiplex 755. If I find some one with a Vista install disc, will it install.  Any opinion on the disc offered here,http://server88-208-237-25.live-servers.net/dell/dellrecovery/dell.asp?keywords=dell+optiplex+755+windows+vista+32+bit+factory+restore&recor=1 If it is against the rules for posting this web site, please remove it. Thanks for the help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:07 AM

http://www.whoismind.com/ip/88.208.237.25.html , see following quote from the link you provided.

"Please read our FAQ regarding your Windows® product key / COA as without a real legal product key your Windows® installation will only run for 30 days. Before the end of the last day of the 30 day period, you will need to activate Windows® using your product key found on your COA. (We do not supply you with a Windows® License / Product Key / Serial Number! You must already have a COA as this service is for re-installation only). These Dell® Optiplex recovery disks are Genuine Microsoft® downloads supplied by a Microsoft® online digital distribution partner, so you can rest assured that you will receive a perfect disk free of malware, bloatware or viruses."

If I needed to install an O/S today on a system.,,I would just buy the appropriaite disk and license from an authorized, reliable vendor...and I would not go any further backwards than Win 7 Home Preimium.

Some Dells require a hard drive with a recovery/restore partition...in order to restore to factory defaults.  Since that parition (if it existed before) has probably been wiped out...I would guess that you need some Vista files somewhere already on the system...to use any restore disk.  I don't think you have such. 

I suggest that you read every line concerning the terms of sale...before buying anything from anyone.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users