Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

transfering all my data(including os) onto new hard drive.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 McBeeff

McBeeff

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:08 AM

• Hello im wondering how to transfer all of my data from my old sata hdd onto my new sata hdd including my OS. I cant do a complete reinstall of my OS with the disk because i cant seem to find it, im hoping there is an easy way to go about this lol.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

You can clone the Windows partition...and any other partitions...to the larger hard drive, using an appropriate program.

I've used Easeus Partition Master and Macrium Reflect to do such...there are a ton of other programs that will do this.  Before attempting such a clone...I suggest that you read the instructions for using the chosen program first...then backup your data which is valued.

Things go wrong every day.

Louis

#3 McBeeff

McBeeff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

Excellent! Thank you for this i appreciate the help, ill let you know how it goes :D

#4 McBeeff

McBeeff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:06 AM

Good news! everything transferred successfully :D thanks again for your help.

#5 McBeeff

McBeeff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:38 AM

As soon as i thought i was problem free! lol, Well everything seemed to go as planed until i tried to start my computer without the original HDD(we will call this HDD A) that i transferred all my data from. When i do this it says my OS is damaged and needs to be repaired, but when i have HDD A connected  everything is fine. Even when I boot from the new HDD (HDD C) With HDD A connected i get no errors. Only when HDD A is disconnected. I just dont get it! lol

Edited by McBeeff, 23 June 2013 - 02:40 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:18 PM

That indicates that you did not successfully make the new hard drive bootable...or the boot files got corrupted, IMO.

Did you follow the directions for using whichever program you used...to attempt your clone?  What program did you use?

Louis

#7 McBeeff

McBeeff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:36 PM

I used easus Partition master free edition, The only thing i did wrong i think was i formated the new HDD before attempting to transfer all my data, i had to then wipe it clean so i can have unnallocated space(i guess) The directions for this program unfortunately were very vague. I am looking at my hdd in the easus program now and it does infact say that my new hdd isnt a boot hdd yet, What should i do to allow my computer to boot from it?

Edited by McBeeff, 23 June 2013 - 05:49 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:17 PM

Follow...the yellow brick road for using Easeus Partition Master...to clone the drive.

http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/partition-copy.htm

Louis

If those directions seem too complex to follow...try Macrium Reflect or some other program that fits you.

Edited by hamluis, 23 June 2013 - 06:21 PM.

#9 McBeeff

McBeeff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:12 PM

I did all that XD, i guess ill keep searching. Thank you again for all your help! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users