Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java failed to update :/

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Curious Mew

Curious Mew

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:58 AM

A Java popup came up, and because I'm tired of looking at popups I decided to update. When I did, a dialog came up basically saying that the update failed. I looked at the list of installed programs and the new version of Java (7 update 25) seems to have been installed, but I'm not convinced. The date of install is wrong, it should say 6/20/2013 but instead shows the date of the previous Java (4/3/2013). I attached some pics to hopefully make sense of this.

I want to uninstall this Java and start from scratch, but I'm afraid to. The last time I tried to uninstall, it failed and have since reinstalled Windows because of the problems that ensued. I remember having to install Revo Uninstaller, but because I was a total noob with that program, I might have done more damage than good by using it. If I will ever need to use it again, I will very likely need a step-by-step list on what to do.

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me. I would leave this Java thing alone, but I'd really like to clean it up now.

Attached Files

• Attached File  2.jpg   214.87KB   8 downloads
  • Attached File  3.jpg   45.74KB   12 downloads
  • Attached File  1.jpg   69.07KB   12 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:16 AM

You can verify the version installed, http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp?detect=jre .

Louis

#3 Curious Mew

Curious Mew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

You can verify the version installed, http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp?detect=jre .

Louis

r1igzn.png

This is my result though I'm still not convinced I have a working Java, the control panel lists the wrong date of install. Whenever it comes time to update Java again, I'm likely to have issues.

Edited by Curious Mew, 20 June 2013 - 09:00 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:24 AM

Well...what you believe is up to you :).

I can only tell you that I used that website to update my version of java yesterday and I believe it properly detected the outdated version (before install of the new) and the current version (post install).

Louis

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:20 PM

Hi -

Just a quick extra question please - Where is the Update date listed for you ??

As with hamluis, I updated a couple of days ago, but have no times / dates listed.

In Control Panel, I just find the current version - Version 7 Update 25 -

I also removed an old listing for Update 21.

Thank You -

#6 z0r

z0r

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:36 PM

I'm trying to install this update right now, but it's failing because the .msi file needed to uninstall the previous version is missing. Am I going to have to start rooting around with revo uninstaller?

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:34 AM

Do not use Revo unless you need it -

Use the link above from hamluis, and after you check, look at the Left side of the panel.

You have "All Java Downloads" / "Remove Older Versions" / "Other Help" all listed.

If you are not able to go through this list and find an answer : Then please post back -

Thanks -

#8 z0r

z0r

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:20 AM

I've already looked around on java.com. It suggests either uninstalling through the add/remove programs list (doesn't work because the .msi file needed is missing) or using the "java uninstall tool" (doesn't work because the first thing it does is check for updates, also wouldn't work anyway because it just cleans up old versions instead of actually uninstalling java).

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:34 AM

Use the Offline Update / Install Method This is the way to go for problem Updates -

Did you click on the link above to see what version you have installed ??

#10 z0r

z0r

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:25 PM

The reported version is java 7 update 21, but the file the installer/uninstaller demands is %AppData%\LocalLow\Sun\Java\jre1.7.0_17\jre1.7.0_17-c.msi. Kinda weird. The offline installer does not make a difference.

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:08 AM

Do you recall how you installed Version 7 Update 21 ??

Please download TFC, or Temp File Cleaner by Old Timer
Usage Instructions:

• Download TFC from the download link above and save the file on your desktop.
  • Close ALL running applications as TFC will terminate them before attempting to clean up the temporary files.
  • Double-click on the TFC icon.
  • When the program opens, click on the Start button.  TFC will terminate the Explorer process and all running applications and then begin the process of cleaning out all of your temp folders.
  • When done, press OK to reboot your computer and finish the cleanup.

Note: Depending on how much data is currently stored in the Temp folders, this process can take quite a while to remove all of the files, so please be patient.

Try this to clear out un-needed Temp Files, and retry the process -

#12 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:33 AM

Good morning Curious Mew.

Wanted to drop in my two cents here and let you know that I encountered the same issues and had the same concerns but wasn't really able to get any clear answers.

I posted my issue here and if you make note of my screen shot, it looks just like yours. And I had questions regarding the install date of the latest update as well.

I did run all my scans and even did the Eset Online scan and everything came up clean - and my machines are not acting strange - so I'm not really concerned about all this, just would like to know, like you, that if I had the latest version of Java installed (Version 7, Update 25) then why did I get the pop up the other night and why does my Control Panel show the latest install back on the 18th of March?

One other question I had was if you think you do not have a working Java, what does that mean?

Have you gone to any sites that require it  (I can post a link if you'd like)  and seen the need to install the missing plug-in?

I have my Java disabled in my browser because the only site that I currently use that requires it is a Math Help site, so I only turn it on when I need to go there.

Just wondering.

onward,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#13 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:38 AM

Oh, one other thing, since I try to restate the obvious any time that I can...

Do you *need* Java?

I ran without it for 6 months when I got my new machine and only installed the latest version once I came up against that Math Help website.

My wife keeps it on her laptop for two apps from her workplace, but otherwise, we both tend to keep it disabled if we're not using it, which means we keep it disabled most of the time.

Winterland

#14 z0r

z0r

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:28 PM

I went back to get the error code (probably should have posted that in the first place!), and a couple of searches led me to this Microsoft tool, which solved the problem.

#15 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:57 AM

z0r, thanks for posting both the link and the update.  :thumbup2:

This Java thing can be rather pesky so I really appreciate it.

Guess we'll have to wait and hear from Curious Mew to see if that solved the issue or not.

None the less, have a great day.

Winterland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users